• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

running Tualatin on CuMine MB w/o Powerleap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ol' man said:

Maybe the cumine isn't but this core is more fragile.

quite sure for Cumine, the last torture I did to it using a cylindrial silk polisher (3/4 cm diameter, 1.5 cm height) attached to a drill and use it to polish the die surface, with a little bit of AS3, just for fun :rolleyes:

Well I would think I have seen more of these .13u cores than anyone here. I believe I have taken the IHS off of what 6 of them now!

Yeah I chipped the first one I took off after putting a pal 6035 on it. After that I used a shim always. They chip easily. As for lapping this core, I would not do it.

ol' man said:
... After that I used a shim always. ..

you mean you used a shim without the IHS? or how did you use a shim with the IHS?

just curious, what makes you think the Tualatin core more fragile?

soil said:

just curious, what makes you think the Tualatin core more fragile?

The shim was used without the IHS.

As for why I know the core is more fragile? How about experience? Does that qualify. It is very thin and who knows how much silicon is above the transistors. I would not do it.

ol' man said:

The shim was used without the IHS.

As for why I know the core is more fragile? How about experience? Does that qualify. It is very thin and who knows how much silicon is above the transistors. I would not do it.

your setup has been fast enough and cool enough:rolleyes:

Still trying, not give up yet :D but no progress... :eh?:

Well right now I know it is due the BIOS bug, but it is not the microcode for processor, the problem is little bit more complicated, and I dont know what to do now... :rolleyes: been searching on Powerleap's page, but no luck, I found only

http://www.esupport.com

So I contact them, and now I'm waiting to see what will it be... is there any QUICK solution for this... or again on Celeron 333 :(

ol' man said:

Maybe the cumine isn't but this core is more fragile.

I second that. I found the coppermine core to be almost indestructible (within reason), whereas the tualatin core is a bit fragile. Also the temperature drop from removing the IHS is less significant than from lapping a coppermine.

Finally it works!

Managed to run a 1.0A Tualatin on Asus P3V4X with stability!
I used an Asus Slotket Rev 1.02, removed the three pins and wired AK4-26, BUT this works ONLY if you have the ICS clock generator... Now it's stable at 1,44Ghz with 1,65v! thanks to all!

Re: Finally it works!

Irondog said:
Managed to run a 1.0A Tualatin on Asus P3V4X with stability!
I used an Asus Slotket Rev 1.02, removed the three pins and wired AK4-26, BUT this works ONLY if you have the ICS clock generator... Now it's stable at 1,44Ghz with 1,65v! thanks to all!

Congrats!
You've been hacking at that for weeks, haven't you?
It must feel good to have sorted it out.

So did you replace your slotket or mobo?

Re: Re: Finally it works!

Ruiner said:

Congrats!
You've been hacking at that for weeks, haven't you?
It must feel good to have sorted it out.

So did you replace your slotket or mobo?

My slotket works great! I replaced my mobo with one of a friend of mine who has the ICS clock generator (mine had a Winborn clock generator who didn't like my tually ...).
Sandra benchs at 1,44Ghz are very good (more or less a P4 2Ghz...) but 3DMark isn't so good (6800 with a Ti500), perhaps I've to tweak my ram... :D

soil said:

your setup has been fast enough and cool enough:rolleyes:

I haven't always ran my H2O cooling setup.

Simply if you H2O cool leave the IHS on if not then you can take it off but use a shim cause the core is much smaller and thinner than a cumine. I know some don;t but if they had to take their HS off many times they increase the chances of chipping it also.

More suceess!!! Was able to run Tualatin Celerons in 2 different mobos.

Asus P3B-F: Was able to get a [email protected] with about 1.7V. Used an MSI 6905 Master Slocket (ver 2.3). I had to insulate the 3 pins and connect AK4 to AK26 and just set the voltage on the slocket to 1.55V without having to wrap any vid pins. Able to select voltages in the BIOS all the way up to 1.85V. BIOS version was 1006 I believe. Was able to boot and run 2-D app without conecting AK4 to AK26 but it would reboot whenever I ran 3-D apps. I first tried using Iwill Slocket II but had no luck. It was a very early version(November 1999) so it may have been missing some later improvements/corrections or I may not have had the pins insulated well enough.

Asus CUSL2: This one seemed a little bit easier. Was able to run [email protected] with about 1.7V. Had to insulate the 3 pins but did not have to connect AK4 to AK26 (it seems that most people with 815 mobos don't have to do this). I also wrapped VSS to VID0 to VID25 to VID2 and this set the default voltage to 1.55V. I believe you will need to wrap the vid pins or else you will end up above 2V. Some of the BIOS's out there will not allow Vcore changes though. I used 1011 beta 5 from http://www.x86-secret.com/ and this one did allow Vcore changes.

Good Luck!!

ol' man said:

I haven't always ran my H2O cooling setup.

Simply if you H2O cool leave the IHS on if not then you can take it off but use a shim cause the core is much smaller and thinner than a cumine. I know some don;t but if they had to take their HS off many times they increase the chances of chipping it also.

I suppose the thickness the CuMine and Tualatin dies are different (likely the Tualatin die is thinner) so you may want to check the thickness of the shim

a CuMine shim is of course thinner than a Cumine die but may not be thinner than a Tualatin die

Last edited:
jmsandrsn said:
More suceess!!! Was able to run Tualatin Celerons in 2 different mobos...

congrats:D

just want to know (a) do you need to re-install windows? (b) the O/S is Me/9X or 2K/XP

thanks

ScorpiX said:
I got my Tualatin... and connect PWRGD whit VttPWRDG, insulate the three pins, put voltage on 1.5

Any sugdestions? :eh?:

can you elaborate how you did it?:D

I have got my Tuallies & 2 different noname ppga/FcPga slotkets & on those the known mod for working single is not working & is almost impossible to find brand name ones with which is working here in Slovenia. Maybe for single one i will hopefully dig out later one used if I am lucky! I would like to ask, has anybody succed to run a Tuallie mod on some of that kind of slotket or find out, how to mod it further to run this Tuallies on any Cu-Mine ready slotkets, not only the brand name ones? On this address: http://wind.prohosting.com/jarmop/Tualatin/Tualatin.htm I found Jarmo´s idea how to do it, but he states, that he haven´t tryed it himself!
But I mesured certain pins with an ohm meter & found out a bad news that pin AL1 marked as reserved on Tuallies are NOT connected to anything inside chip, while on PIII is marked as VSS (gnd)! All other different pins are all connected to something & not just empty ones!
So this pin can be cause for CellyTuellie not working in SMP? I can not find internal block diagram of connections of both chips to see that :-( Can someone help me to find internal at least block schematics with connections inside chip? I know this is a tough taks to accomplish...

Back