• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 1700 Overclock Bios = Underclock Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

depecid

Hi all,

Newbie here with an OC issue with my brand new Ryzen 1700.

I finished my build last night, Ryzen 1700, Gigabyte x370 Aorus Gaming 5, Corsair LPX3000, etc.

XMP works fine, sets the memory to 2934 and boots no problems.
I also managed to OC the cpu to 3900 at 1.35v using Ryzen Master within windows.

However, when i try and simply change the multiplier to 39 in bios, and set the voltage to 1.35, when i boot into windows the cpu is stuck at around 1500mhz.
CPU-Z and Ryzen Master both confirm this. Ryzen master also shows the voltage as 1.00. Stressing the cpu doesn't change this, and the temps stay very low.

To me it seems as if it's stuck in a low power state or something? Does anyone have any clue to what might be going on? I tried some google searches but nothing comes up.

I also tried the little OC button on the motherboard, but it wont even boot into windows.

Any ideas are appreciated, cheers!

I had something similar when I first used Ryzen Master. I had to uninstall it and first try the clear CMOS if that doesn't work you might need to reflash the bios

Thanks for the tips, i'll give that a whirl and see how i go.

I had another issue while playing around with xmp where enabling it stopped doing anything, even it bios it wasn't switching from 2134 to 2943 anymore. Had to reset to defaults and after that it worked again.
Seems like the issues aren't 100% sorted yet.

Well alot of that depends on your parts. Ryzen id kinda picky about the ram you use. Why don't you create a sig with your build. Reverting to stock is normal when the changes in BIOS don't take

Be sure to reset your BIOS settings to default before flashing the latest BIOS. Failing to do this can brick your board.

I am having the exact same issue with the gigabyte aorus x370 gaming 5 mobo and ryzen 1600X, my cpu reverts to 2.2Ghz and .8 volts when trying to overclock via BIOS. Im on the latest F6 BIOS, Ill uninstall ryzen master and let you know if that fixes it.

So i uninstalled ryzen master, reset cmos, set cpu to 3.8Ghz and voltage to 1.37v, booted up and the cpu was still running at 2.2Ghz. I went back in and set the cpu voltage back to auto and magic i was running at 3.8Ghz at 1.38v now. So i went ahead and set the cpu to 3.9Ghz with all voltage still on auto, the system ran fine. Ran a system stability test with aida64 for an hour and it held stable at 3.892Ghz, voltage at 1.39v, temps maxed out at 58C with room temp at 21C. Also just to note i am using a corsair H100i v2 for cpu cooling, g.skill flare x 3200 16Gb ram which worked out of the box at the advertised specs when i enabled XMP profile 1.

A lot of people have found that a new BIOS works to fix that If your board doesn't have a new BIOS then maybe an older one will help

So i uninstalled ryzen master, reset cmos, set cpu to 3.8Ghz and voltage to 1.37v, booted up and the cpu was still running at 2.2Ghz. I went back in and set the cpu voltage back to auto and magic i was running at 3.8Ghz at 1.38v now. So i went ahead and set the cpu to 3.9Ghz with all voltage still on auto, the system ran fine. Ran a system stability test with aida64 for an hour and it held stable at 3.892Ghz, voltage at 1.39v, temps maxed out at 58C with room temp at 21C. Also just to note i am using a corsair H100i v2 for cpu cooling, g.skill flare x 3200 16Gb ram which worked out of the box at the advertised specs when i enabled XMP profile 1.

I would contact Gigabyte and tell them about the problem.

Im currently on the most recent bios for the board (F6), ill try and reflash the bios to the board ajd see what happens, if it still doesnt work ill try downgrading to version F5 and see what happens. I'm currently moving so i wont be able to do anything till tuesday but ill update the thread with my results. And if both those dont work ill deffinitly be contacting gigabyte.

I finally finished moving an have internet again woohoo! Hah i tried reflashing the BIOS again with F6 and got the same result so i flashed the BIOS back to F5 and the same issue is happening. I will be contacting gigabyte tomorrow and ill update the thread with what they tell me.

My Gigabyte board does the same thing. At boot I'm at 1500 MHz no matter what I set the BIOS to. I hesitated to post in a Ryzen thread, but the Giga board seems to be prominent in the discussion.

Back