• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen temp limits when overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

What is the maximum core/package temp envelope when overclocking Ryzens and what reporting software gives accurate readings?

Amd states 1.35v after that chip degradation. Socket temp doesn't seem to play a big part like with FX series and package temp I believe is 90*C thermal trip .I have seen Temps at 80*C stable at 4 GHZ before changing fans. HwInfo 64 for monitoring Temps and voltage.

Last edited:
Thermal shutdown on the Ryzen X CPUs is 100°C anything below 90 is good for 24/7, the 1700 Non "X" will have a bit more headroom as the "X" cpus still have a 20° offset just keep that in mind. I find it difficult to assess what the "REAL" limit is. Some at OCN have pushed them to shutdown and 1700 = 100° 1700X went to 115° before the board/CPU tripped the safety. So it appears to me that AMD would "prefer ~ 80°C as a true operating temp. You can see below I have outlined the actual temp reading this has the offset. The one below is a calulated one the author added to show ~ "REAL" temps next one is the voltage you want to monitor for core. As you see on CHVI LLC2 the voltage still drops from 1.375 to 1.344V under load. IBTAVX is heavy so it drops a bit more than other SW
1600x ibt .JPG

Last edited:
Amd states 1.35v after that chip degradation. Socket temp doesn't seem to play a big part like with FX series and package temp I believe is 90*C thermal trip .I have seen Temps at 80*C stable at 4 GHZ before changing fans. HwInfo 64 for monitoring Temps and voltage.

I bet that AMD didn't test that the same as Intel didn't test max safe voltage but they say that anything above some value may damage CPU. 1.35V is stock VID for 1700X/1800X so 1.35V being max safe is like saying if you try to OC then you lose warranty.

My 1700X runs fine up to ~80°C so about the same as Johan already said. Above that is sometimes acting weird. I was trying to set balance between temps and noise so I tested all that couple of times.
Working software depends on the motherboard. Generally hwinfo64 works good. AIDA64 works good in most cases. Sometimes you just have to know which one is temp with offset and which one without. Ryzen master is always showing temps without offset and reading seems correct so you can take it as base to compare with other soft.
The same about voltages but in this case it depends on the motherboard some more. Hwinfo64 is not always right. On Biostar board when I set auto everything then CPU voltage is 1.55V while it should be 1.35V. AIDA64 is showing better values. On the other hand when I set VID manually to 1.30V then hwinfo64 is showing ~1.30V. My board has no LLC but it handles voltages pretty good so I don't complain.

I'm waiting for my Ryzen parts to arrive. In overclocking the Ryzen does it behave like an Intel in that when your base overclock exceeds the stock turbo core speed then turbo is deactivated and all cores are running the same speed?

As soon as you change the multiplier then most things are deactivated. I usually set CPB to disabled.

It depends on the motherboard. For some reason all that is still working on my Biostar when I overclock using P states. So I overclock my CPU and still have all that power saving enabled or at least clock and voltages are changing depends on load etc. There are 2 ways to OC Ryzen. On ASUS, ASRock and Gigabyte you can change CPU multi. On Biostar and and I think that also MSI, there is no direct CPU multi option. When you change multis directly then power saving is turning off. I can be wrong at some point but this is what I've noticed while overclocking on ASUS, Gigabyte and Biostar boards.

When you OC with bclk then above some frequency pcie mode will be lowered. So it will go from pcie 3.0 to 2.0 and then to 1.0. In general if you have all multis for CPU and memory that you need then don't touch bclk.

AMD rep on the AMD forum says max operating temp is 75c. 95c if you take into account the 20 degree difference on the 1700X and 1800X.

So it sounds like the thermal parameters for Ryzen are much more like what they are for Intel than for FX and earlier AMD.

Back