• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

S.M.A.R.T. Errors/data loss. It's a good time to be into computers these days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

TL;DR = Computers today > Computers in 1985. Next thread, please

long story:

Received a S.M.A.R.T. error last Monday on my 2TB Seagate Barracuda so I thought it was probably a good time to get some replacement drives.

Forgot to order new drives and then got another S.M.A.R.T. error yesterday when I powered up. I got some replacement drives in my shopping cart and was getting ready to check out of Newegg when I remembered I already had a pair of 4TB Seagates leftover from a project I lost interest in.

I continued the boot up process (F1 to go to BIOS then exit bios, so I could continue booting) got into Windows and copied all the pertinent data from that drive to my other in-box archive drive and did the soft eject on it, popped out the drive from my Obsidian case and installed the 4TB into the drive holder and slid it back into the case. Disk Manager to re-scan so it found the replacement and I partitioned it, then formatted it and copied back the data I just backed up. The whole process took less than 45 minutes and it made me realize just how far we've come in technology from back in the day.

We hardly ever received advanced notice that a drive was failing so, more often than not, you just found yourself with a dead drive. If you were fortunate enough to have 2 drives back then, the drive most likely to fail was the one you wanted most.

Back then, it was a pain in the arse to remove the old drive and replace it with a crazy expensive, low-capacity drive of the day and then spend several hours formatting it and, if you were lucky, a slow, laborious process of restoring your backups from floppies that lasted several more hours, minimum.

Just recovering from a dead drive could take 2 days, easily.

Nowadays, it's as simple as seeing an error, copying over your data to a backup drive, right click the drive, eject it (if you're using hot-swap bays) put a new cheap-to-purchase, several TB in size, crazy fast and large drive into the hot swap cradle, then slide it into the case, partition it, format it in a few seconds, then copy your stuff back. Even if you aren't using hot-swap bays, it's still a really simple process since most cases are tool-less or use only 1 size phillips screw...

I know it's a wordy post that was just me reminicing, but I had to share.

Yeah, technology today is pretty impressive. If you know how to read SMART data, you can sometimes detect before the drive starts showing major signs of failure, which gives you time to get data off it or time to replace it.

Glad to hear you avoided a big problem by watching those numbers. :thup:

I'll see your 2 days back in ye olden days and raise you 3. Try restoring over a single 1Gbit link, with data verification, over 4TB. :beer:

Back