• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990FX CPU_LED Problem [Out of the box]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oliver297

I'm going to try and title this so anyone can skip to different parts if they have an answer to my problem, Thanks in advance.

Introduction to my problem

So this is the second time this has happened to me, The first time i was somehow able to fix it but i either can't remember how or seem unable to fix it properly this time.

What happens

Basically when i hit the power switch the system seems to start up normally except the GPU fans start then stop, only one of my case fans power up and the CPU_LED light comes on. I had this problem with the previous Sabertooth 990fx mother board i bought but somehow found a way to fix it, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be as easy this time around.

Specs

Sabertooth 990 fx Motherboard
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 Oc'd edition GPU
AMD-Fx 8150 8 core processor
Stock cooler compatible with the processor
Corsair 400R case
650W Corsair Power supply
16Gb Corsair Vengeance RAM 4x4GB DDR3
500GB HDD
1TB HDD

I've tried the following:

Inserting RAM into each individual slot (Used all 4 in all slots 1 by 1)
Re-seating the Processor and CPU cooler
Cleaning the ends of the RAM and the Ram slots
Resetting the CMOS using the jumper
unplugging both HDD's to try them individually
Checking the wiring for any loose wires / broken wires
Checking to see if i'd mistaken any wires for something else

All of these have proved no success :mad:, I've seen a lot of forums say the motherboard may need flashing but it came with the BIOS version 1102 which according the the ASUS website should support my processor.
I have further researched this to find changing to a better BIOS version fixed a couple of peoples problem, but it doesn't post so i can't flash.
The only possible problems i can think of would be that the processor is faulty, the motherboard is faulty or i am missing something.. I have already sent back one of the same motherboard due to it being faulty.. It did the same thing when i got it but eventually after i messed with things booted fine and worked for a good 3-4 weeks before just straight up dying.
If ANYONE has encountered a problem like this and has found a fix i'm willing to give anything a try, Again, Thanks in advance. :-/

What im planning to do next if no one has my answer

I'm going to invite my friend over who builds PC's for a living to check it over to see if I've gone over something / Missed something that could be causing the problem or just to check if the mobo / processor is faulty itself.

If that comes out to nothing, I've decided i'll take it to a shop and have them flash the bios for me to see if that works.. If not i'll have to RMA the board which to be honest isn't that appealing since that last mobo (same one) also seemed to have problems out of the box. After reading countless forums i'm pretty sure its just the 8150 and the 990fx bios version [Hopefully]

Last edited:
did you try the "MEMOK" button top right of the motherboard? i had the same problem with my sabertooth and thats what got it running again.

did you try the "MEMOK" button top right of the motherboard? i had the same problem with my sabertooth and thats what got it running again.

I've tried it once, but it doesn't seem to do much. Could you explain what exactly its doing and how long i have the wait?

The light just seems to flash endlessly.. On the previous motherboard it slowly started flashing faster and faster till it stopped (still did nothing)

Could you elaborate?

Thanks for your time :)

EDIT: Okay, currently trying the MEMOK button. At the moment it just seems to be a slow flash while the CPU_LED is still constantly on. Will re-edit if it fixes my problem.

Last edited:
its supposed to reset the memory settings to something that it determines boot-able and can flash a good 1-10 minutes depending,i had a DIMM just slightly not in all the way when i first added my 32 GB kit to mine and it never stopped flashing guess it couldn't find a bootable setting with 7 sticks lol.

A few things could be the issue:
1. CPU is dead
2. Board is dead/shorting.

The issue is not associated to memory, peripherals or boot devices.

The only real way to test is to remove the motherboard from the case and set it up in an open environment, with another compatible CPU.

AMD Semprons (140,145) or cheap Athlon II make good candidates for a backup CPU.

Are you sure you used the brass standoffs for the motherboard included with your case?

A few things could be the issue:
1. CPU is dead
2. Board is dead/shorting.

The issue is not associated to memory, peripherals or boot devices.

The only real way to test is to remove the motherboard from the case and set it up in an open environment, with another compatible CPU.

AMD Semprons (140,145) or cheap Athlon II make good candidates for a backup CPU.

Are you sure you used the brass standoffs for the motherboard included with your case?

i was told i didn't need to use the standoffs by a friend, now the mobo doesn't die it isnt a boot loop so it doesn't seem to be shorting. And if it needed the standoffs i'm pretty sure the mobo would of exploded by now.

unless you have a acrylic or other non conductive case you should defiantly be using standoffs,hopefully not using them hasn't ruined your board:(

i was told i didn't need to use the standoffs by a friend, now the mobo doesn't die it isnt a boot loop so it doesn't seem to be shorting. And if it needed the standoffs i'm pretty sure the mobo would of exploded by now.

Man! :facepalm: I wanted that board but settled for M5A99x Evo.
Man! Board Maltreater!

No, just joking! I hope your board is ok!

Okay, here's the thing. i'm pretty sure the Corsair 400R comes with pre-installed standoffs.
I was told by my friend who has the exact same case and motherboard that they are not needed in this case. If anyone could provide evidence that i do need them in then i will get my board fixed, make sure he sorts his out and we can all be happy :) He did make a deal that if it did need standoffs then he would be buying me a new one so happy days

EDIT: here's the website where i also got some information just to double check before i used standoffs - http://www.anandtech.com/show/4690/corsair-carbide-400r-succeeding-in-reverse/3

@RGone Either way, that means i haven't gone wrong with the standoffs, and that it pretty much means it doesn't matter if i screw them in or not.. I guess this could be tested by an open system build.

Someone said on another forum post that 1304 (Bios version) is the version i would need for the 8150 even though the cpu support list says otherwise... If that is the case then i'm pretty much screwed since after checking 2 of my really old pc's the only other AMD processor i have is an AM2 Socket Athlon 64 x2 :/

To back up the point with the standoffs the last time i did this with the same motherboard i did put some standoffs in, but surely if i actually "needed" them the mobo would of exploded by now, When i previously installed them i had trouble getting the custom cpu cooler in by the screws not reaching the holes and the RAM only registering 1 stick [Could of been due to a faulty mobo]

Either way i'll try to get back to you guys once I've tried an open system build / found a solution to my problem.

@Rgone Either way, that means i haven't gone wrong with the standoffs, and that it pretty much means it doesn't matter if i screw them in or not.. I guess this could be tested by an open system build.

Someone said on another forum post that 1304 (Bios version) is the version i would need for the 8150 even though the cpu support list says otherwise... If that is the case then i'm pretty much screwed since after checking 2 of my really old pc's the only other AMD processor i have is an AM2 Socket Athlon 64 x2 :/

To back up the point with the standoffs the last time i did this with the same motherboard i did put some standoffs in, but surely if i actually "needed" them the mobo would of exploded by now, When i previously installed them i had trouble getting the custom cpu cooler in by the screws not reaching the holes and the RAM only registering 1 stick [Could of been due to a faulty mobo]

Either way i'll try to get back to you guys once I've tried an open system build / found a solution to my problem.

MAN! :facepalm:

I am just wondering if you either over flexed the board when you put in your peripheral cards and broke the traces or burnt one of the components out. Because from the pics I saw(not very good pics), it looks like there were some standoffs installed with some standoffs missing and the manual shows that it does comes with standoffs.

Make sure that there are no metal burrs in the case that could touch the board! You never know!

That looks like a cooler case then what I have!

Last edited:
MAN! :facepalm:

I am just wondering if you either over flexed the board when you put in your peripheral cards and broke the traces or burnt one of the components out. Because from the pics I saw(not very good pics), it looks like there were some standoffs installed with some standoffs missing and the manual shows that it does comes with standoffs.

Make sure that there are no metal burrs in the case that could touch the board! You never know!

That looks like a cooler case then what I have!

Okay, just tried an open system build, same problem nothing changed. I then put everything back in so basically did a rebuild.. Nothing changed.

I popped the CMOS battery out then put it back in, Nothing changed.. Tried using the jumper one more time and surprise surprise nothing changed. :eh?:
:confused:

This leads me to believe since the its the CPU_LED that is showing that its either the bios version that isn't compatible with the 8150 or the cpu is faulty.

PSU was rules out by the fact that if i jumped 2-3 everything worked as it should.. Apart from the screen obviously. :rain:

after my friend has had a look at it i'll try to find a cheap compatible AMD processor to stick in for a BIOS update, If not i'll RMA the processor.#

Still open for any suggestions that i haven't tried yet

The other forum that you quoted said 1304 version or something like that, but on the global ASUS site, http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_990FX/, it says 0813. The site might be wrong, so I would check out ASUS forum page and see what they say!

MAN! I really hope you do not have to RMA! That sucks!:cry:

Im posting on the ASUS forum at the same time :bang head

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...n-us&page=1&board_id=1&model=SABERTOOTH 990FX

Really hoping i can get this fixed, havent gamed for a week i swear i'm suffering withdrawals :temper: :comp:

take a look at the back of the psu connectors, I have had some push out when the connetors were plugged in. check the 24 pin atx connetor and the cpu power connector.
your bios is just fine.
when you reset the cmos did you disconnect the power cord, remove the battery, move jumpers for five minutes and replace on the correct pins?

Back