• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth z77 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hi all,

I just got my sabertooth today and i installed it in my case. i still dont have my Cpu and GPU But when i was using a old motherboard i was able to have my fans and LED stick running. but now im trying with my Sabertooth z77 and everything i try to power up it shuts down after 0.5min My motherboard is ruined or just wont keep running since it dont have a cpu ?

Im kinda annoyed because i paid $249 for a "not-sure-if-it-works" motherboard.

Id like to have infos (by the way when it shutdowns , Lights and fans shutdowns too even if they are into molex plugs)

When i installed my motherboard and everything else related with the board i was using the box as a working station + an anti static wrist band.

need infosssss (by the way i cant contact asus chat) thanks

hi all,

I just got my sabertooth today and i installed it in my case. i still dont have my Cpu and GPU But when i was using a old motherboard i was able to have my fans and LED stick running. but now im trying with my Sabertooth z77 and everything i try to power up it shuts down after 0.5min My motherboard is ruined or just wont keep running since it dont have a cpu ?

Im kinda annoyed because i paid $249 for a "not-sure-if-it-works" motherboard.

Id like to have infos (by the way when it shutdowns , Lights and fans shutdowns too even if they are into molex plugs)

When i installed my motherboard and everything else related with the board i was using the box as a working station + an anti static wrist band.

need infosssss (by the way i cant contact asus chat) thanks

errrrr tbh im surprised you even got it to switch on for .5 mins. If you dont have cpu it wont run.... You wont be able to tell if its kaput until you have your CPU, RAM and HSF installed. And for the love of god dont run it until you have it all installed with the HSF secured properly. Tbh your asking to destroy an expensive mobo by doing that.

errrrr tbh im surprised you even got it to switch on for .5 mins. If you dont have cpu it wont run.... You wont be able to tell if its kaput until you have your CPU, RAM and HSF installed. And for the love of god dont run it until you have it all installed with the HSF secured properly. Tbh your asking to destroy an expensive mobo by doing that.

Me, my friend and my teacher think it's a security on the motherboard that does that. It shutdown the board and the psu like when you press shutdown on windows :) ill have my cpu for the end of the month if newegg ship everywhere else than L.A Everything's fine i guess i tried again today after putting the board back in the case and did shutdown everything so i guess it's alright :D Btw i had the RAM installed but didnt beep at all (i guess it didnt have the time to beep ahah)

btw it was 0.5 second my bad :p

You do need a CPU in place for POST so shutting down isn't unusual. Get your CPU and HSF in, then see where you are

Yeah i guess thats what it was all about ill see when i get my cpu :D thanks

Me, my friend and my teacher think it's a security on the motherboard that does that. It shutdown the board and the psu like when you press shutdown on windows :) ill have my cpu for the end of the month if newegg ship everywhere else than L.A Everything's fine i guess i tried again today after putting the board back in the case and did shutdown everything so i guess it's alright :D Btw i had the RAM installed but didnt beep at all (i guess it didnt have the time to beep ahah)

btw it was 0.5 second my bad :p

Yeah i guess thats what it was all about ill see when i get my cpu :D thanks

boards tend not to do the beeps nowadays, none of my mobos have done that since i had an AMD athlon 5600+ XD. Just dont try and run it until you have everything installed, rule of thumb tbh ( by everything i mean Processor ( + HSF) RAM and gfx card (even the graphics card isnt needed if you can use on-board to at least see if everything is kosher.)) ;)

Hi, I have a very similar problem.

I also have the sabertooth z77 and it won't power up. Sometime i can get it to briefly turn on like OP but most of the time it doesnt turn on.

The power LED on the mobo is on so there is power to the board.

Ive tried taking all of the components out and having them all in. Ive been to a local technician who couldn't diagnose the problem. He said it might be something shorting the board. I don't see how as ive tried the board out of the case with all components removed.
I've tried 3 different PSUs.

I'm really lost for what to do!

Please help!

It is best for you to create your own thread as this one is a year old...

That said, if you tried another CPU and ram, its time to RMA the board.

I have sent the board back to OCUK already and they tested it but found no faults, forgot to mention that part.

Is my best option just to get a refund then reorder?

Back