• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabretooth, was working, now not working.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h4rm0ny

I have a Sabretooth 990FX motherboard (lucky me). It was working fine. Beautifully in fact. I updated a piece of software on my system (VMWare for what it's worth) and it asked to restart my machine. I said OK and it shut down.

And hasn't come back up since. Dead screen. I had some teething troubles with the graphics card (Saphire Radeon HD6970) so I thought initially it might be this as the keyboard Numlock etc was working. I stopped and started a few times, swapped in a different graphics card, no output, not by HDMI, not by DVI, not by VGA via a dongle. Even tried different monitors. I didn't think to ping the box during this time, I just assumed it was a graphics problem. Now I don't know. Nothing I've tried has worked. Nothing has changed in the hardware. Everything was working fine two hours ago. Now - nada!

What can I try?

Does it even post, or is it a dead screen when it tries to load windows? Can you choose safe mode?

VMWare loads graphics drivers, so that could cause an issue if its windows where the problem starts. But if its no post thats really odd and doesn't seem related to loading vmware.

If it doesn't post, disconnect everything you can, reset cmos by the jumper... Then what happens?

Thanks for the replies.

As said - dead screen. It's not merely dead, it's really most sincerely dead. No POST, no nothing. As mentioned, have also tried with another graphics card which I know is working.

It starts up, case and CPU fans working, power light. The keyboard lights come on and Num Lock and Caps Lock switch on and off.

I've now noticed that the VGA LED is lit on the board. So it IS graphics related (I think), but I don't know how to fix it. I have tried another graphics card which I know is working. Same result.

I have moved the jumper over and cleared all the BIOS settings. I even popped out the CMOS battery.

This is causing me MAJOR problems. It is the box I use for my development work and I may lose my job over this. I have mixed feelings over that as I've been working fifty hour weeks and 3 out of 4 weekends for the past year. I'm pretty much on my last legs and this box dying and me missing a deadline might be the most merciful thing that could happen. But I'm still trying to fix it. It would take me a day to transfer data from backups, re-install and re-licence all the software, SSH keys, and a hundred other things. I'm dead and I feel it. Thanks for your help people. I've tried everything I can think of. I'm out of ideas.

EDIT: Anyone looking for a talented database engineer / programmer? Numerous good references, one bad one. ;)

___

Last edited:
I have graphics! I moved the graphics card across to one of the other PCI-E slots (#2) and it's working.

So my task now is to find out why #1 is suddenly not working. It always worked there before. But that can wait until after breakfast.

Ubelievable!

Great to hear switching slots did the trick for you! If nothing works in that first slot, you may want to use the warranty while you've got it. :thup:

Looks like the military grade components aren't that great after all, haha!
Anyways I'm glad you've found a temporary fix, but as I.M.O.G. said - replace the motherboard while its still in warranty.

Back