• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe switch to XMP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

data1

Hi all,
I recently updated my BIOS but it used to have option to set the RAM to run at XMP speed. Now there is no such option but only option to set the clock speed to 1333, 1600 mhz etc.
So I'm wondering will it be safe to set the speed to 1600 which is XMP specifications max speed or is there risk of damaging the RAM if the volts for example are also not set to XMP values?

I included screenshot here that shows the XMP specification:

ram2.png

thanks

If there is an XMP option, that is usually an easy way to set the required options. You can also manually set the speed, timings and voltage too. If you set too low a voltage, the worse that will happen is the system wont boot or is unstable. Setting too high a voltage is where potential damage can happen.

I do find it odd that a manufacturer would remove XMP option if it was present before. Make sure they haven't moved it elsewhere?

If there is an XMP option, that is usually an easy way to set the required options. You can also manually set the speed, timings and voltage too. If you set too low a voltage, the worse that will happen is the system wont boot or is unstable. Setting too high a voltage is where potential damage can happen.

I do find it odd that a manufacturer would remove XMP option if it was present before. Make sure they haven't moved it elsewhere?

Actually I just found the option :) it was well hidden.. but Im running at XMP (800mhz) speed now!

thanks

Good! Just wanted to get a second set of eyes on it.
Mainly making sure the settings took and dual channel was functional!

Back