• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Same core keeps failing on QX9650

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dimsdale

I'm running an ASUS Maximus Formula (bios 1004) and trying to max out my overclock on a QX9650. When I stress test the machine using prime95, I'm getting either rounding errors or fatal errors only on Thread 4, which seems to correspond to CPU Core #4.

I can get the CPU stable at 3.4 GHz and 3.6 GHz with a 400 MHz FSB, but when I try to go to 3.8 GHz, it's always Core #4 that fails after about two hours.

Have you guys seen that the same core repeatedly fails stress testing after a few hours? I think I was 10 hours prime95 stable at 3.6 GHz and 1.26V, but I can't get that kind of stability on Core 4 even with 1.36V.

Anyone have a suggestion on what might be going wrong or any BIOS setting that might help with the same darn core failing after a few hours of stress testing?

Thanks in advance!

:welcome: to the forums!! :D

My core4 fails first also ;)

Not sure if your board has it, but enable "Load line calibration"

I don't recall which one fails first on mine; I want to say it was Core 2 (0x01h)... I'll be tinkering with stability + voltage reduction tonight when I go home, so I'm sure I'll see one fail at some point :) I'll post back which one it ends up being for me...

When working my Overclock up, it would always be 1 core that would fail before the others. You just need to keep adjusting voltages until it's stable. At 3.8GHz, is that 1.36V set in BIOS or actual? (What does CPUz say when under load?)

You could very well need more volts if that 1.36 is BIOS set and you dont have load line calibration on. It could be dipping to low <1.3vCore at load.

I have load line calibration enabled. I think I was setting around 1.365 in BIOS and getting 1.34 or something like that at load.

I think I might try changing some other BIOS settings besides Vcore...maybe its not the CPU by itself - but the CPU in connection with the NB/memory. I think I will try

DRAM Static Read Control: Disable and a different FSB Termination Voltage.

I have load line calibration enabled. I think I was setting around 1.365 in BIOS and getting 1.34 or something like that at load.

I think I might try changing some other BIOS settings besides Vcore...maybe its not the CPU by itself - but the CPU in connection with the NB/memory. I think I will try

DRAM Static Read Control: Disable and a different FSB Termination Voltage.

that by its self may help a lot DRAM Static Read Control disabled tell you get stable then try enabling it see what happens if anything
Rich

Back