• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire 9800 Pro & NF7-S weird prob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eysikal

Registered
This is weird to me...

I installed the new Sapphire card on a brand new NF7-S v2.0 motherboard and loaded a fresh install of Windows 2000 Adv. Server.

The card worked fine when it was just running without any drivers. It wasn't until the time when I installed the latest Catalyst drivers after installing Service Pack 4, and the latest nForce 2 chipset drivers that it started acting up.

When I am prompted to restart after installing ATI's drivers, here is what happens:

The system boots up normally and I get to the screen where you are asked to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and then type in your password. After I type in my password, the system hangs for a split second and then flips right back to the window asking me to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE again.

The cycle just keeps repeating itself and ocasionally it will hang up and stop repsonding and I am forced to restart. If I load up in safe mode, it works just fine. So this tells me that it is most likely a driver related isssue. Although I am sure someone out there has the same setup as I do...

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

I have already tried to install other versions of the ATI and nForce2 drivers, with no luck. The one thing I didn't try was to update my bios. I just got this board as an RMA replacement and I noticed something weird about the BIOS date on the POST screen. It said something like this 12/24/2020. That was weird to me. So I decided to flash to the latest BIOS and I accidentally flashed it to the latest BIOS for the 1.1-2 revision. Of course I am screwed and I had to order a new chip.

Any ideas guys?

I finally figured it out. It was a driver problem. An incompatablilty between nVidia nForce2 chipset drivers and the ATi drivers. I think the VGA gart driver on the nForce2 chipset was causing the problem.
So I just installed them manually and I am now up and running!

Back