• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X waterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

themadnun

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering how viable it is to attach a waterblock to my Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X, I know I should probably have bought a reference design card for watercooling, but they were all out of stock when I purchased my system.

So, underneath the giant heatsink and fan assembly, does anyone know if this is a reference board, or if it is a modified design? If so, are there any compatible waterblocks for this unit available?

Cheers,
themadnun

I think someone else was looking into something similar, and the location of some of the caps was different?

Trix:
sapphire-290-tri-x_34353.jpg

Reference:
amd-radeon-r9-290_pcb.jpg

I don't see a single difference.

Wow... $750 for a reference card... The LIGHTNING I just reviewed cost that much... damn are these things a rip off...

He is saying that the thread he was thinking of, was a 7970 thread, not that your picture is of a 7970. ;)

Thanks for the information Atmin, and to the guys mentioning the price, it was ~$700 when I purchased and was the only one available for about 6 weeks, which is why I just sucked it up and bought it.

If I were to add in a watercooling loop and another gpu, I would buy a reference card and a waterblock, which would cost roughly the same as the tri-x. For anybody without a watercooling system, I think it's a pretty good cooler. Considering the cards are meant to run at 95c, this one usually sits at 75c when being hammered and 77c when being hammered hard.

Cheers,
themadnun

$580 for reference now...but nothing you could have done about it. Expensive cooler.to throw away. Lol!

Back