• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sata Drive query

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ruud

Registered
Hi

I have two new seagate sata hard drives and i notised on the back of the drives there is a jumper for limit to 1.6GB/banwidth or 3GB the drive is factory set to 1.6GB/banwidth should i change it?

2nd Query

I have sata cables that look like the following

http://www.jinco.com/shop/images/CBSATAINT.jpg

The flat end fits the drive and the motherboard so i take it the flat end into motherboard and the pointed end into hard drive?

Thanks

Well...

It depends on what your motherboard supports

SATA1 Or SATA2

If its sata 2 make it the 3g :D

You should take the jumper off.

It doesn't matter what end of the connector goes to what. The motherboard is the "usual" way IIRC. Whatever looks best to you.

What would happen if i took the jumper off altogether.

i just found this info for my board

Intel ICH7R South Bridge:
* 1 x UltraDMA 100/66/33
* 3 x Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s with Intel® Matrix Storage Technology with RAID 0, 1,

so should i change the jumper to 3.0Gb/s

well i have some seagates, the jumper is there to make sure it works out of the box. on any mobo with sata, the harddrives are able to do 3G but if the mobo doesnt say it can do it then you want to leave the jumper on for 1.5g. Removing the jumper will allow for a higher burst rate data transfere then with it on.

yea that board is said to support/handle 3g sata, go ahead and remove the jumper. you might notice the comp boot up a bit quicker, i did on my 680i rig.

Ruud said:
What would happen if i took the jumper off altogether

You do want to take the jumper off altogether. It will not run as a Sata 3.0Gb drive with the jumper on.

The drives should work (when set to sata 2) on any sata port whether its sata 1 or 2, the jumper is provided for compatibilty with some mb's/controllers that dont like sata 2.

Back