• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA Storage Devices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darion

Registered
The motherboard I am currently using has a SATA 1.5 Gb/s: 2 and the motherboard I want to get has a SATA 3.0 Gb/s: 6. The HDD I am currently using is a SATA 3.0 GB. (Maxtor Maxline Pro 500 SATA 3.0 Gb Hard Drive) If I get the motherboard I want will anything go wrong? or will everything be fine?

This is the motherboard I want:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130559

Thank you so much. Aand what of the memory? I currently have 2GB DDR Kingston (1 Stick = 1GB) but it says this motherboard I want only supports DDR3, that means my memory wont work right?

I would have to buy new memory for this motherboard that will fit the specs right?

If that old memory is DDR2 and that mobo needs DDR3 type, then yes, you will need to buy new memory.

How would I do that? lol

If your motherboard has a good set of overclocking options then there is a section in the bios that allows you to manually set memory timings. Memory performance hinges on two main variables: 1. the raw data transfer rate, e.g. DDR3 1300, DDR3 1600, DDR3 1800, etc. and 2. The "timings" which refers to the snappiness of a series of data "hand-offs" within the memory module chips. The timings of the memory you are planning to buy are 9-9-9-24. If you go into the bios you should be able to lower the timings. Smaller numbers means quicker timings.

What QuietIce is saying is that if you run the memory at DDR3 1300 data transfer speeds instead of its maximum rated factory speed of 1600 then you should be able to speed up the timing (lower numbers). AMD CPUs seem not to benefit much from data transfer speeds higher than DDR3 1300 but really like quick timings.

Last edited:
Back