• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sata to IDE adaptor help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habibrobert

Hello,

I recently bought a SATA to IDE adaptor so I could hook up my SATA DVD drive to my motherboard which only has IDE connectors on it. When I plugged it in and put in a cd of windows XP (yes, yes I know I need to upgrade!), the bios seemed to detect the cd just fine and I installed all of windows XP. However, when windows XP booted up for the first time, it did detected the DVD drive, but it would not boot any cd's off of it. I would double click on the drive and it would just go to a blank page. Does anyone know why this is? Its strange that it would work when installing the OS, but no longer will work when the OS is installed.

I am not connecting anything else to the IDE cable except for this drive.
Any help will be much appreciated!

PATA-SATA adapters seem to vary a lot in compatibility, and some don't like optical drives. Here's one that works with all types of drives and is $3 - $5, delivered:

http://www.meritline.com/ide-to-sata-or-sata-to-ide-adapter---p-36542.aspx

However it has an undersized PATA connector that can be plugged into the wrong pins or even backwards, despite having a key molded into it meant to make that impossible.

Maybe a PATA controller card will work better. If you have PCI slots, the cards based on the Silicon Image SiL680A (PATA only) or VIA VT6421A (PATA & SATA) seem to work fine. I don't know about PCI-E controllers, but Ebay has some $10 combination PATA & SATA controllers based on a JMicron chip.

Back