• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Satellite P305....is my mobo dying? dead? or what cause I cant figure it out!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vlad86

So fixing a computer is one thing but fixing a laptop is like a whole different world. I have a Toshiba Laptop P305 which is almost brand spanking new which my girlfriends dad gave to her and said "the power button doesnt work anymore" sure enough I figured this cant be a simple fix or something that going to cost me a good chunk of money in order to get this thing up and running for my girlfriend. Long story short I took the laptop home plugged in the ac adapter and tried to start the damn thing....sure enough all it did was make a wierd noise as if something is grinding but or better yet when your car battery is just about dead and its turns over like 2 times in slow motion before its completely dead and the one LED light thats below the screen flashes for the split second you press the button but the lights indicating the AC adapter and internal battery is in stay on. Its not the hard drive cause it makes the same noise when its removed. It recognizes the AC adapter is plugged and when the internal battery because the LED lights light up if either 1 if not plugged in. Anyways I took out the internal battery and tried to power it on and sure enough it turned on.....I didnt get my hopes up cause once I tried to shut it down it froze in the shutdown screen. I turned it off and tried to turn it on again....sure enough that was the last time it ever turned on. I took the damn thing apart completely to check for a loose connection.....or any visible problems.....unplugged the CMOS battery and left it out for about 15minutes and plugged it back. Took out the 2 ram chips and tried every variation with them and nothing. Im sort of back to square 1 except that now the fans will turn on once I hit the power button still get that weird noise.......still get the indicator lights turning on....but the computer wont boot and I wont get any power to the screen. Anyone got a clue what the hek I can do with this thing? All advice will be highly appreciated!

It's a Toshiba, need i say more? My Girlfriend bought a Toshiba in September of last year, and the sound card in it is pretty much dead, track pad works when it wants to, and the CD-rom is iffy.

As for your particular problem, does the fan come on full blast and stay like that? It sounds kinda like what a desktop does when it can't detect something, or hangs on detecting something at boot.

Try pulling the CD ROM, HDD, RAM, everything, and see if it will at least beep at you.

Tried that and still nothing........Im thinking on just forking out the cash for a new internal battery and cmos battery and possibly a fuse.......got any other ideas ? lol thanks for actually responding ;)

Back