• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screen tearing even with G sync enabled?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834725034R

I have that laptop which comes with G sync. I have G sync enabled in the Nvida CP globally as well as in the specific game profiles. Anyway, I still get tearing even with G sync enabled. I have V sync disabled both in the Nvidia CP and in game. Changing the V sync to fast or on fixes the problem, but then there is zero point in paying extra money for G sync if I am just going to use v sync. How do I fix this?

Do you know what framerate you're pulling when you get tearing? I'm not fully up to speed on how G-sync works, but have heard things happen if you have unlimited fps above the monitor refresh. I've seen advice elsewhere to limit the fps to slightly below the panel refresh rate so you're always in the G-sync zone.

Also, G-sync on laptops is not actually G-sync. It's Freesync, just that nVidia doesn't call it that. It's up to the screen manufacturer to decide just how much of the Freesync standard their monitor will support, so the screen tearing could be due to a limited variable refresh rate range (ex. a range of only 45-60Hz). Anything below or above that range can produce screen tearing.

Also, G-sync on laptops is not actually G-sync. It's Freesync, just that nVidia doesn't call it that. It's up to the screen manufacturer to decide just how much of the Freesync standard their monitor will support, so the screen tearing could be due to a limited variable refresh rate range (ex. a range of only 45-60Hz). Anything below or above that range can produce screen tearing.

This doesent make sense. G sync and Freesync are unrelated and incompatible technologies. A Freesync monitor connected to a Nvidia card cannot use active refresh just the same as a G Sync monitor cannot use active refresh on an AMD card. If the laptop monitor used Freesync as you said, then it would not support any level of active refresh at any frame rate because that technology is not compatible with Nvidia cards.

It doesn't make sense with desktop cards, but in laptops that feature a nVidia gpu with a "G-Sync" screen, they are actually using "Freesync", which is a VESA standard built into the DisplayPort spec.

Interestingly, G-Sync for laptops makes use of the embedded DisplayPort (eDP) standard, a standardised interface for hooking up display panels directly to internal graphics cards. On the desktop, G-Sync can only be used with compatible monitors that contain Nvidia's G-Sync module.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...c-for-laptops-reveals-low-level-tech-details/

Alright, well regardless of the tech, it doesent work at any frame rate. The laptop has a GTX1070 and a 1080p monitor so I am basically running at 60 - 75 FPS all the time. Even so, screen tearing is still present. Even when I enable G Sync AND fast V sync, I still get screen tearing in Hitman. I have to enable normal V sync for it to go away. The G Sync does not remove tearing in any of my games even though I can maintain a solid 60 - 75 FPS at all times (it's a 75 Hz monitor).

Back