• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screwed out of $50.00 by NewEgg or Paypal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, newegg should also be held accountable. Both parties benefited from the business, end of story. These are corporations that only do things that they can make money off of, not your buddy across the street that you should forgive and forget. It's not even about consumer vs corporate. If you had a grocery store chain and you were offered a deal by your produce supplier. If you agreed to place your next stock order with them and had it shipped using a specific freight corporation they were also doing business with, the freight company would discount you freight charges. This is obviously a ploy to garner business for both parties, because the amount of money discounted from freight is overshadowed by the potential income generated by the incentive advertised by the supplier to all it's customers. At the same time, the supplier has potential to increase business because of discounted freight costs that will be payable after shipment has been made. It's a win win for both of them. Now what would you do if your store received the ordered shipment, but no discount? Obviously the first action would be to talk to the freight company, but if you're talking about hundreds or thousands of dollars that you were supposed to be reimbursed depending on the size of your order, you'd definitely talk to your supplier and have THEM work it out for you as 1. They offered you the deal with specified conditions, 2. They may or may not have gotten your order in the first place.

Last edited:
vixro said:
All paypal, not newegg's fault. They just advertised the deal since Paypal was going to pay for the kickbacks not them. That meant more business for newegg and it was completely paid for by Paypal. Paypal drops the deal, so it's their fault. You shouldn't be trying to hound newegg for the money, its not their fault and they aren't going to give you any.

I agree it is PayPal that dropped the ball and owes the money. I will never buy anything associated with PayPal again.

On the other hand, NewEgg advertised the sale and sent it to me.

NewEgg also is the one making the profit from the sale because of this relationship they have with PayPal.

In the state of Washington CompUSA lost a class action suit with this exact type deal 4 years ago.

Not making good on rebates of sales that went through their store from venders they used. They advertised the rebates and the courts made CompUSA pay.

I'm sure many thousands of people bit on this sale from NewEgg.

$50.00 is not a huge discount on $250.00 or more of merchandise. NewEgg has discounted many items this much in the past.

I can see both sides. Here is what I think would be a fair compromise; if the order was place before the disclaimer was posted they should make good on the offer. As far as anyone knew up until then people assumed it was still good. After the disclaimer was posted, fine fair enough quantities gone no harm no foul. But you better make good on the offers up until that point.

all i know is over the years I've bought close to 6k worth of stuff from newegg, and if they don't make good on this offer I'm canceling my newegg account and giving my money to some other online e-tailer from now on.

all i know is over the years I've bought close to 6k worth of stuff from newegg, and if they don't make good on this offer I'm canceling my newegg account and giving my money to some other online e-tailer from now on.

That's your loss. I wouldn't want you as a customer if you backed out of business that quick either.

Whats the defense regarding the fine print in the Terms and Conditions? I still haven't seen the angry mob address that yet.

Last edited:
That's your loss. I wouldn't want you as a customer if you backed out of business that quick either.

Whats the defense regarding the fine print in the Terms and Conditions? I still haven't seen the angry mob address that yet.

ya serious both newegg and paypal covered their asses in the fine print, you guys have no case whatsoever and are getting ****ed over the dumbest of things. why on earth would you cancel your newegg and or paypal account. i have yet to find a better place than newegg to buy all sorts of techie goods at the prices they offer...

if you guys wanna go crazy go ahead and cancel your newegg and paypal acounts, i have NEVER had a problem with either and have been doing business with both for years now.

the only reason i've continued to shop with newegg is that other than this mishap, I have never had any problems with them. And for someone that spends so much money on their website every year, they should at least cut them a break once in a while. I mean, many many times I see an item for 10 or 20 bucks cheaper elsewhere but decide to get it from newegg... so i know i've made them way more than the $50 that I am asking from them.

I've never asked anything of newegg before, but if i ask for a correction and they won't correct it even after my years of loyal purchasing from them then I can chalk them down to not caring much about their customer.

If I had not been such a loyal customer for such a long time, and if I hadn't spent so much money with them, i wouldn't care that much, but thats not the case.

ya serious both newegg and paypal covered their asses in the fine print, you guys have no case whatsoever and are getting ****ed over the dumbest of things. why on earth would you cancel your newegg and or paypal account. i have yet to find a better place than newegg to buy all sorts of techie goods at the prices they offer...

if you guys wanna go crazy go ahead and cancel your newegg and paypal acounts, i have NEVER had a problem with either and have been doing business with both for years now.

Because they want to look tough on their consumer high horse. These are the same kinds of people that hold you up in line at the stores demanding satisfaction regardless of their inability to understand fine print/terms/rules/importance of receipt/etc. (Still waiting on your reply to that Blackjackal)

man, fine print sucks. they definitely covered themselves. i'd say that paypal is mostly in the wrong here but newegg could have handled it better. newegg advertised it and the deal ended early. i think newegg should have made some effort to alert customers of this, an email, a banner ad on the order page, anything. that would have been bad PR though.

i think you did the right thing by cancelling the order through paypal and going directly though newegg. if you pay with paypal, newegg only gets like 98% of the total. there's no reason to give paypal the business when the only incentive is gone. as far as cancelling the paypal account.... that might have been a bit extreme.

Do y'all get mad at the newspaper or the printer of the ads we get in the mail if there is a missprint on a price? Nope. Not their fault. They gained business from you too. (The coupons have codes so the retailers know which one is bringing in the most results). Same situation. I didn't get an email from Newegg, I got it from Paypal.... Paypal's fault 100%. Yell at them and not the Egg. If you want to yank your business from them, so be it. That is your choice....

I am in the same boat as some of you guys. I placed an order on 11/26/2007 @ 11:54 AM CST. When I placed the order there was no indication the the deal was dead. So concerned that I would not get the 20% return, I opened up a live chat on NewEgg's side. I stated my concerns, that PayPal might not pay up, but the NewEgg rep assured me that I got my order in on time and that I would receive my cash back come January. However seeing the order times of some of you guys it looks like I ordered after you guys, so we are getting conflicting statements. I kept a log of my transaction, and if I do not receive $50 come January I will be rather upset with NewEgg, simply because they assured me I would receive the cash back.

I am in the same boat as some of you guys. I placed an order on 11/26/2007 @ 11:54 AM CST. When I placed the order there was no indication the the deal was dead. So concerned that I would not get the 20% return, I opened up a live chat on NewEgg's side. I stated my concerns, that PayPal might not pay up, but the NewEgg rep assured me that I got my order in on time and that I would receive my cash back come January. However seeing the order times of some of you guys it looks like I ordered after you guys, so we are getting conflicting statements. I kept a log of my transaction, and if I do not receive $50 come January I will be rather upset with NewEgg, simply because they assured me I would receive the cash back.

i dont think you realize that they had just as much information on this as we did, they didnt kno how much funding paypal set aside or how much was left... gah

and to let you guys kno paypal ran out of funds right round 1:30pm PST 11/26/07 so thats 11:30 CST

i dont think you realize that they had just as much information on this as we did, they didnt kno how much funding paypal set aside or how much was left... gah

and to let you guys kno paypal ran out of funds right round 1:30pm PST 11/26/07 so thats 11:30 CST

I contacted the newegg rep (live chat) today at around 12:30 CST. So the newegg had a full 24 hours to know wither or not I would qualify. I even asked the newegg rep to double check with me that I would qualify for the cashback, and she assured me not once but twice that I would qualify. That is why I will be upset if I do not get the $50. I understand the terms of this promotion, but if newegg blew my chance to cancel my order because they assured me that I will get the rebate, then I will be upset.

I put in my order at 8:30am and after reading this post went and checked my email and sure enough they claim i wont be getting the discount.

I spend $5k + a year with Newegg myself and also order for my company which hits well over $15k a year.....Guess what ? Not anymore LOL.

Kinda funny we are building 68 systems in jan. I will be using another vendor as of now.

Well I just got off of live chat with another newegg rep. This rep was unable to determine if my order would qualify. I asked her if she would allow me to cancel two of my three orders (at stage 3) giving the circumstances. She was unable to cancel them for me but did offer to refund me $15 for my troubles. I gladly accepted the offer and thanked her for her time.

Well it wasn't what I was hoping for but its atleast an attempt at a resolution which is what I wanted. Even thought this promotion was deciving in my mind I still commend newegg for not blowing me off (unlike paypal).

I contacted the newegg rep (live chat) today at around 12:30 CST. So the newegg had a full 24 hours to know wither or not I would qualify. I even asked the newegg rep to double check with me that I would qualify for the cashback, and she assured me not once but twice that I would qualify. That is why I will be upset if I do not get the $50. I understand the terms of this promotion, but if newegg blew my chance to cancel my order because they assured me that I will get the rebate, then I will be upset.

How about contacting paypal, the people offering the money back.... Newegg isn't the one offering the money. Their hands are clean of this.

Well the bottom line is this.

If NewEgg is going to associate themselves with this type of activity and do nothing about it. People like us have choices!

Having someone try to weasle out of a deal because of the fine print is for attorneys.
NewEgg said the deal was on and I believed them.
They know and I know what is the right thing to do.

What I do will depend on what they do. PayPal is a done deal.

www.zipzoomfly.com
www.directron.com

no need to use the spoiled.rotten.egg.com any more, i havent for 3 years!

I could send a CPU to anyone on this site as I have done in the past and if they say they are going to send me $50.00 for it they do.
That's they way you do business. If they don't $50.00 won't kill me but it will finish them at Overclockers.[/

And they do buisness by saying "while supplies last" which means they cover their asses, ALL buisnesses and companies do this, as all companies, they have X amount for a budget for a promotion / marketing campaign.

How about contacting paypal, the people offering the money back.... Newegg isn't the one offering the money. Their hands are clean of this.

I did not ask for newegg to refund me $15 I just asked to cancel my orders. They said they could not and offered me a $15 credit instead, so I took it.

As for "Their hands are clean of this." I realize that neither newegg nor paypal did anything legally wrong (fine print) but this promotion was certaintly deceptive, and judging from the posts on the newegg website, I think they have realized that this was a flawed promotion from the start.

Also I have tried both e-mailing and calling (hold for 20 minutes) paypal with no luck.

I put in my order at 8:30am and after reading this post went and checked my email and sure enough they claim i wont be getting the discount.

I spend $5k + a year with Newegg myself and also order for my company which hits well over $15k a year.....Guess what ? Not anymore LOL.

Kinda funny we are building 68 systems in jan. I will be using another vendor as of now.

your joking right... newegg hasnt gotten its rep by doing bad business you kno, they almost 100% of the time have great prices on a HUGE slection of products.

the people at newegg are just misinformed or not informed at all about paypal's doings, go ***** to paypal not newegg.

you guys are WAY overreacting to this 20% off thing, you trapped your self and are taking it out on all the wrong people, you yourself is to blame not newegg or even paypal!

the people at newegg are just misinformed or not informed at all about paypal's doings, go ***** to paypal not newegg.

you guys are WAY overreacting to this 20% off thing, you trapped your self and are taking it out on all the wrong people, you yourself is to blame not newegg or even paypal!

I partially agree with you, however I am not sure how much Newegg did/didn't know regarding the details of this promotion.

If you look at the link below, you will see at the bottom of the overstock.com promotion page that they clearly state that only the first 17,000 requests for the promotion will be honored. It is strange that paypal would tell this to Overstock.com but not newegg, seeing as they had to know there would be a hugh spike in demand regarding this promotion.

Overstock Promo Page

Back