• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screwed out of $50.00 by NewEgg or Paypal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you guys realize that in the email they cover them selves...

Discounted prices and/or promo codes are valid on 11/26/2007. Once end date is reached discounted prices and/or promo codes will no longer be valid. After this date standard prices will resume and are subject to change without notice. Newegg is not responsible for typographical errors. All typographical errors are subject to correction. Offers valid only while supplies last. Use of promo codes is limited to one (1) offer per order and product. Promo codes may not be applied to multiple products within the same order or to more than one (1) item of the same product.

your getting ****ed over something that was bound to happen... they set aside an amount of money that would be paid back for each merchant, and if it was to go over they cant give any more.

Consumer protection laws and FTC regulations override sweeping disclaimers.

Just because it's stated in a disclaimer, doesn't make it enforceable under law.

That's your loss. I wouldn't want you as a customer if you backed out of business that quick either.

Whats the defense regarding the fine print in the Terms and Conditions? I still haven't seen the angry mob address that yet.

From your responses in this thread and others, I get the impression that you're a small business owner or participant in a family business. Am I right?

From your responses in this thread and others, I get the impression that you're a small business owner or participant in a family business. Am I right?

Nope. But if I did run one, it wouldn't be in such a state that I would change vendors over $50.

Like I said, the all mighty divine consumer high horse rides again.

I partially agree with you, however I am not sure how much Newegg did/didn't know regarding the details of this promotion.

If you look at the link below, you will see at the bottom of the overstock.com promotion page that they clearly state that only the first 17,000 requests for the promotion will be honored. It is strange that paypal would tell this to Overstock.com but not newegg, seeing as they had to know there would be a hugh spike in demand regarding this promotion.

Overstock Promo Page

Therein lies the problem. If newegg did know and left out details of the promotion then they knowingly and intentionally baited people with the promotion. :-/

Newegg hasn't had a good few months based on some things I'm reading just on this forum.

Nope.

Newegg hasn't had a good few months based on some things I'm reading just on this forum.

This forum would look a mess if we all posted everytime we had a good experience with them too now wouldn't it?

Now if they just happen to be a repeated offender for you, then by all means do what you gotta do. But you people are the ones looking pathetic, for flexing your internet muscle and declaring your moving on for 1 incident out of countless. Really silly.

Last edited:
This is far from my first complaint reguarding Newegg, we have had errors in billing, have been double billed, failure to ship as promised and have had the wrong item shipped to us several times lately.
Seems like Newegg is slowly going downhill atleast it sure seems so from my point of view considering the problems of late.

When Newegg screws up it is not Newegg that looks bad, it is me atleast in the eyes of my superiors....

This is just the last straw as far as I am concerned.

Therein lies the problem. If newegg did know and left out details of the promotion then they knowingly and intentionally baited people with the promotion. :-/

Another thing that gets me is why they didn't just use a promo code that would expire after so many uses. Newegg has issued paypal promo codes in the past and have worked fine, why did they not use one in this situation?

your joking right... newegg hasnt gotten its rep by doing bad business you kno, they almost 100% of the time have great prices on a HUGE slection of products.

the people at newegg are just misinformed or not informed at all about paypal's doings, go ***** to paypal not newegg.

you guys are WAY overreacting to this 20% off thing, you trapped your self and are taking it out on all the wrong people, you yourself is to blame not newegg or even paypal!
Are you on the Newegg payroll or something?

Another thing that gets me is why they didn't just use a promo code that would expire after so many uses. Newegg has issued paypal promo codes in the past and have worked fine, why did they not use one in this situation?

Good question......

Well, I placed an order yesterday evening for just a little over $250 (prior to the official suspension of the deal), figuring I was going to end up with a $50 rebate and since one of the items had an $80 MIR, the net cost was going to be a tad over $120. After reading all the posts last night, I decided that I wasn't going to risk it and cancelled the order.

I don't know who is really at fault here, but the way it was setup, it resulted in alot more ill will than good.

Probably the only time that I have gotten annoyed with the egg and Paypal.

I partially agree with you, however I am not sure how much Newegg did/didn't know regarding the details of this promotion.

If you look at the link below, you will see at the bottom of the overstock.com promotion page that they clearly state that only the first 17,000 requests for the promotion will be honored. It is strange that paypal would tell this to Overstock.com but not newegg, seeing as they had to know there would be a hugh spike in demand regarding this promotion.

Overstock Promo Page

that first 17000 thing was probably added just after this newegg disaster...

and no im not a newegg rep... we do have a newegg rep here on ocforums, look him up!

This forum would look a mess if we all posted everytime we had a good experience with them too now wouldn't it?

Now if they just happen to be a repeated offender for you, then by all means do what you gotta do. But you're the one looking pathetic, for flexing your internet muscle and declaring your moving on for 1 incident out of countless. Really silly.

That's really rude. Where did I say anything about "moving on"? Whose internet muscles are being flexed here? :drool:

that first 17000 thing was probably added just after this newegg disaster...

and no im not a newegg rep... we do have a newegg rep here on ocforums, look him up!

I did! I sent him a PM earlier today.

I am not saying that Newegg intentionaly tried to decieve with this promotion, just wondering why the promotion rules were not more clear, and why certain safe gaurds were not taken.

I think I have beaten the dead horse enough for one day.

I sent the newegg rep a pm, hoping that they would probably work with our members and perhaps take the extra step to keep our members happy. But, all I got was a canned response... :-/

I still don't understand how people think newegg owes them the discount. It's not their promotion. It's Paypal's promotion. The rules are pretty clear, as stated, while supplies last. It sucks that it ran out so quick, but barking up Newegg's leg to get them to honor someone elses promotion is pretty ridiculous. Y'all should be taking it up with paypal. Taking this up with Newegg and getting mad is pretty assinine and greedy. This should be taken up with Paypal. As quick as this ran out, how do you think Newegg could have kept up with Paypal's promotion? They can't!

I still don't understand how people think newegg owes them the discount. It's not their promotion. It's Paypal's promotion. The rules are pretty clear, as stated, while supplies last. It sucks that it ran out so quick, but barking up Newegg's leg to get them to honor someone elses promotion is pretty ridiculous. Y'all should be taking it up with paypal. Taking this up with Newegg and getting mad is pretty assinine and greedy. This should be taken up with Paypal. As quick as this ran out, how do you think Newegg could have kept up with Paypal's promotion? They can't!

It's a promotion in conjunction with NewEgg, right? Or am I reading these posts wrong? What the promotion offered with other vendors as well.

Folks, businesses exist to serve customers. Despite this, successful businesses often forget that customers aren't a given.

Consumers have the power (in non-monopoly situations), not the businesses. I don't think it's unreasonable to complain when a situation like this comes up.

Of course, SteveLord and others who play devil's advocate for the sole purpose of being contrarian will disagree, but facts are facts.

It's a promotion in conjunction with NewEgg, right? Or am I reading these posts wrong? What the promotion offered with other vendors as well.

Folks, businesses exist to serve customers. Despite this, successful businesses often forget that customers aren't a given.

Consumers have the power (in non-monopoly situations), not the businesses. I don't think it's unreasonable to complain when a situation like this comes up.

Of course, SteveLord and others who play devil's advocate for the sole purpose of being contrarian will disagree, but facts are facts.

It's paypal's promotion period. Newegg and a host of other company's are where the rebate was valid. Each company was allotted a certain # of $, whether that is knon or unknown to the company or the consumers is still debating. The money ran out quickly. Newegg quickly put up a banner stating that it was over (2 days early, but remember, this is Paypal's promotion, not Newegg). Asking Newegg to rebate you when it is Paypal's promotion is 10000% greedy. People need to be talking with Paypal, not Newegg. Newegg can't control what the limited supplies were. If you are unsure if you are getting the rebate, contact Paypal, they will know 100%, Newegg may or may not know.....

maelstromracing said:
Newegg can't control what the limited supplies were. If you are unsure if you are getting the rebate, contact Paypal, they will know 100%, Newegg may or may not know.....

I have to disagree with you 100000%.

NewEgg can totally control what they sell on the 20% discount.

They needed to get a fixed amount of money allocated from Paypal with a code to use when you order. If the order won't go through with the code, the money from PayPal is used up. Very, Very simple.

Just like when you get ready to order something and it says out of stock.

Money for discount OUT OF STOCK, gee that would have been hard to do, not!

I did contact PayPals supervisor through phone and email. They didn't have any idea what they were doing.

The supervisor at PayPal said they would get back with me within 24 hours and let me know if my sale at NewEgg would qualify. What a Joke.

This whole thing was totally avoidable by NewEgg. They did have control and they made countless sales just because of this bogus promotion.

I am a NewEgg fanboy from way, way back and I know they are one of the top etailers out there, but this was very deceptive and wrong. End of story.

Back