• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screwed out of $50.00 by NewEgg or Paypal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I didn't want to post again in this thread, but I just wanted to give you guys an update. I just recieved an e-mail from paypal:

Thank you for contacting PayPal. We apologize for the delay in
responding to your service request.

Dominic, I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.
Newegg.com ended participation in the cash back promotion at 4:26 PM CST
on November 26. If your purchase was made before this time, it can
qualify for the cash back. The cash back will be paid out by January

Thank you for being a valuable member of the PayPal community.

Also we keep geting confilcting stories. Who did cancel this promotion? Newegg or PayPal?!?!?!?!

I have to disagree with you 100000%.

NewEgg can totally control what they sell on the 20% discount.

They needed to get a fixed amount of money allocated from Paypal with a code to use when you order. If the order won't go through with the code, the money from PayPal is used up. Very, Very simple.

Just like when you get ready to order something and it says out of stock.

Money for discount OUT OF STOCK, gee that would have been hard to do, not!

I did contact PayPals supervisor through phone and email. They didn't have any idea what they were doing.

The supervisor at PayPal said they would get back with me within 24 hours and let me know if my sale at NewEgg would qualify. What a Joke.

This whole thing was totally avoidable by NewEgg. They did have control and they made countless sales just because of this bogus promotion.

I am a NewEgg fanboy from way, way back and I know they are one of the top etailers out there, but this was very deceptive and wrong. End of story.

That is partially true though. Newegg did make it avoidable by putting that the promotion did end when it did. It would be your (not you specifically) own fault if you placed an order after it ended, and then still try to say anyone owes you anything, whether or not you had already checked your e-mail (one example)

I have to disagree with you 100000%.

NewEgg can totally control what they sell on the 20% discount.

They needed to get a fixed amount of money allocated from Paypal with a code to use when you order. If the order won't go through with the code, the money from PayPal is used up. Very, Very simple.

Just like when you get ready to order something and it says out of stock.

Money for discount OUT OF STOCK, gee that would have been hard to do, not!

I did contact PayPals supervisor through phone and email. They didn't have any idea what they were doing.

The supervisor at PayPal said they would get back with me within 24 hours and let me know if my sale at NewEgg would qualify. What a Joke.

This whole thing was totally avoidable by NewEgg. They did have control and they made countless sales just because of this bogus promotion.

I am a NewEgg fanboy from way, way back and I know they are one of the top etailers out there, but this was very deceptive and wrong. End of story.

Please explain to me how Newegg should rebate your for a promotion that Paypal did, that paypal would rebate you using paypal money? We aren't debating should haves could haves or would haves. The promotion is over. How is Newegg (or any other company) at fault (besides paypal)? Why should the Newegg make up to you what another company promised. Newegg did no wrong. They tried to warn people that the promotion was over. The only part of the promotion they are involved in is that they are a vendor that you can use your PAYPAL purchase through and PAYPAL would rebate you. Shady? How? Shady would have never let anyone know the promotion was over. Newegg and Paypal didnt' screw anybody out of any money.

Last edited:
This is exactly why I didn't go through with the PayPal deal, while I do use PayPal trust me if there was a decent alternative that worked well I'd jump ship. I had this bad feeling this 20% off **** was going to hit the fan, Jan 31st cash back and then this?

I don't want to bad mouth Newegg or anything but I think the people that bought stuff from them assuming that they would in fact get $50/20% back deserve a refund or compensation. Maybe not 100% from Newegg but they need to work with PayPal to resolve the issue and that means good luck, PayPal isn't exactly good at fixing problems.

The problem is the way it was the sale was implemented. Thousands of people didn't know when the sale was over! Weather NewEgg or Paypal ended it is not relevant.

If you go into a store that has banners up 20% off today only. We will send you the $50.00 in two months.

Then you go home and read in the Newspaper the sale ended at 2:00 P.M

You might be a little upset!

No one told the people buying the merchandise that day the sale was over.

Thousands of people that don't read these forums will be waiting for Jan 31st 2008 for their $50.00 to show up in their PayPal account and it will never happen.

When you push the button to buy at NewEgg nothing said SALE OVER. Thats the problem.

These are not Ma and Pa operations.

In the banking and retail industy you get finanacial commitments for fixed amounts of money.

Not an e-mail saying we ran out of money.

When you push the button to buy at NewEgg nothing said SALE OVER. Thats the problem.

So Newegg has a direct link to Paypal to know whether or not the money is still there or if the offer has been cancelled? things don't work that way. People deserve compensation from Newegg? Why? It's still not their promotion. If they didn't get the rebate, then it's Paypal.... It's all kinda like a manufactor coupon stating the first thousand people that submit this mail in rebate get the rebate, everyone else is SOL. Well, you happen to be #1001. Does the store that you bought it from owe you something? It wasn't their promotion. Same situation.

Well I didn't want to post again in this thread, but I just wanted to give you guys an update. I just recieved an e-mail from paypal:

Also we keep geting confilcting stories. Who did cancel this promotion? Newegg or PayPal?!?!?!?!
And more importantly, which is the correct time?

[maelstromracing said:
So Newegg has a direct link to Paypal to know whether or not the money is still there or if the offer has been cancelled? things don't work that way.

Apparently you have never bought homes or large ticket items, but that is exacty the way things work.

When I go buy a home or car, I get a Financial Commitment from the lender for X amount of money.

That way when I write a check for it no one gets surprised.

I owned a large Sportings Goods store for 12 years, and have been retired for 10 years, that is the way things work!

If you are the store, you do know how much money is commited for your sales, or you better know!

I received an email from NewEgg today saying if I order from them and use my Paypal account I can get 20% off up to a total of $50.00 from Paypal. Offer good through 11/28/2007. The money would be deposited in my Paypal account by 1/31/2008:)

I ordered an extra complete computer system that took me about 1 hour to price it all out and send in the order. The order was placed at 2:47 P.M Pacific time with NewEgg.

1 hour later I looked at my email from NewEgg today and a big banner is splashed accross now that says OFFER ENDED. :confused:

I called NewEgg and they said PayPal ran out of funds for the special promotion and cancelled their offer 2 days early.

That is BS. :mad:

If I ran out of funds to pay for the parts that wouldn't be acceptable and neither is this.

I don't know weather to be upset with NewEgg or Paypal.

I buy $10,000+ a year from NewEgg and this is not the way to treat loyal or for that matter any customers.

I should cancel my order because it was stuff I really don't need I just wanted to loose a $50.00 kick back from Paypal.

Dear Customers,

We truly apologize for any inconvenience this Pay Pal issue has caused many of you and also apologize for the late response in this thread :) Rest assured we are doing everything possible to make things right and make you a happy customer :) Please go ahead and email me your order number at [email protected] and I will personally see to it that you are taken care of in the best possible way.

Thank you

Google's Checkout and Buy.com should advertise the same offer except they should actually keep it going until the promised date, that would certainly steal some people over IMO.

I just wanted to throw that in there, I have no say on this "scandal" really.

Apparently you have never bought homes or large ticket items, but that is exacty the way things work.

When I go buy a home or car, I get a Financial Commitment from the lender for X amount of money.

I own two homes.
3 Motorcycles (2 are Race bikes)
1 Truck
2 Cars.

Please show me in the Paypal promotion where the finaicial commitment you would get the money. Nope it Didn't. Therefore it doens't work that way you want it to work. It's kinda like those teaser Interest rates to draw you into a mortgage broker.....Newegg is not at fault. Scream at Paypal. Newegg is one of the best online retailers out there and you all are trying to get something from them when someone else ran the promotion....

maelstormracing said:
Please show me in the Paypal promotion where the finaicial commitment you would get the money. Nope it Didn't

Here is my commitment from PayPal after talking to them on the phone and them sending an email to me.

Dear Mike Laughlin,

Hello my name is Haydee, as promised I am sending this email regarding your
New Egg Promo Inquiry.

We were informed that as long as you made your order today and the merchant
can complete it within the promo period (up to January 10th, 2008)you
should qualify fir the 20% cash back promo.

We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter, and
wish you continued success on PayPal.

Sincerely,
Haydee
PayPal Customer Service Department
PayPal, an eBay Company

Here in a second e-mail from a consumer support division, PayPal seems to be saying it's NewEggs cash back offer and NewEgg ended it.

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

Offer starts on November 26, 2007 at 12:00:01 am Pacific Time and is
available for a limited time only. Offer is only available as long as the
merchants website indicates that the 20% cash back promotion is offered,
but no later than December 10, 2007 11:59:59 pm Pacific Time.

You must use your PayPal account to make purchases on participating
merchant websites by selecting PayPal as a payment option during the offer
period, except for exclusions at stated in Section 7 below. Multiple
purchases are allowed. Payments at Overstock.com must each be for at least
$100 USD (including shipping and taxes) to qualify. In the event that you
made a purchase and the merchant has not billed you for it, the purchase
amount must be charged to your account no later than January 10, 2008 to
qualify (and you must still make the purchase within the offer period).

Eligible customers will receive 20% cash back on their total purchase
amounts (including shipping and taxes) made with participating merchants
during the offer period. The maximum total amount of cash back per PayPal
account is $50 USD.

Since Newegg.com is ending their cash back offer as of today. In the Terms
and Conditions it states In the event that you made a purchase and the
merchant has not billed you for it, the purchase amount must be charged to
your account no later than January 10, 2008 to qualify (and you must still
make the purchase within the offer period).

Therefore, since the transaction was placed today and as long as the funds
are collected by January 10th (assuming all other requirements are met)
then the customer would qualify for the promotion.

Thank you for using PayPal.

Sincerely,
Katherine
Consumer Support
PayPal, an eBay Company

At any rate the NewEgg Rep contacted me regarding this issue and I'll keep everyone posted as to the outcome.

There are thousands of posts on this at EggXpert.com if anyone wants to read more about this.

The title is misleading IMO, sounds to me your problem is with Paypal, not Newegg. All these Newegg post are beginning to suck, after reading most of them it's usually a buyers fault or something minor. I for one will still use the Egg, even if a mistake happens, which is possible since we are all human.

The primary responsibility still falls on Paypal; however, newegg should be somewhat take responsibility. I'm really glad to hear newegg is responding to this issue now, and this shows their committment to customer service.

Personally, I just feel it is ridiculous to receive an email 1 hour AFTER making a purchase saying that the offer had expired (because they ran out of money). Of course, the buyer still have the right to cancel the order. The whole situation makes it sound like a scam. Like promising you will get this and that, and after you commit yourself to it, you received a response.... opps........

I never like paypal since ebay took over. Sounds like paypal is employing their usual policy..... go blame someone else and it's not our fault.

Back