• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

seaching for besr motherboard for AMD Phenom II X4 920 Quad Core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cpu - pII x4 910 - 236$ can
Motherboard - fit /w pII - 200$-asus
4gb ram +
video card need to take attention on getting nvidia or ati idk...
and my games are mostly wow + blizzard games i would like to my gaming cpu havea durability long time

thanks !

Neuro, have you tired using amd overdrive? I have some weird glitch on my mobo as well. I can change all the settings, but whenever I put vista into sleep mode and then wake it up, cpu-z says my bus is back to stock 200 and so my speed it 2500mhz when it should be 250 on the bus and 3125mhz total, so I went and downloaded nvidia system tools and installed performance. Set my bus to 250 and it went right back up in cpu-z. I was also able to tighten my ram A LOT! I'm totally siked for this because my ram was 5-5-5-3-18-24-6 and now it is 5-4-4-2-15-18-5. Pretty good I would say.

ChanceCoats, be careful with those tighter timings. You could be generating errors and slowly corrupting windows and not even know it. (Been there, done that!) I suggest you do a lot of testing on the ram. Prime95 blend, Memtest in windows and or Memtest86 in a boot disc.

Sorry, I don't meean to be pushy, it's just that I have made a lot of mistakes with ram that I didn't know I was making till Windows died.

R7 :beer:

I know what you're saying and I didn't take offense. I need more people like you who don't mind sticking their neck out and telling me I'm messing with things I might not want to.

I know what you're saying and I didn't take offense. I need more people like you who don't mind sticking their neck out and telling me I'm messing with things I might not want to.

It's all right to mess with ram timings, you just need to be very cautious and test what you are doing. With subtle changes in timings you can speed things up, but you can also destabilize at the same time. Since AMD chips have on die controllers each one is a tad different and just as with an over clock no one can tell you exactly how far you can go with it. The only way to find out is to push it till you start getting errors or crashes and then you need to back off. So, you are doing the right thing. Just be careful.

good thing you told me that because I ran a prime 95 test and 13 minutes in i got a rounding error which is memory. [I think] I loosened the timings a little bit.

If it's the blend test in Prime, then yes, it probably is the ram. I honestly don't know for certain, but it's the Prime test that stresses ram the most. With the memory controller on die many times you have to loosen timings when you are overclocking. At least you caught it before it did any damage to the OS.

Back