• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate 500 gig 32 cache HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squad

Registered
I have a problems my friend build the pc for me but the thing is I only see 127 gigs in "my computer" but I have a 500 gig harddrive is there something wrong? Could I fix it.

install the lastest service packs for windows then go into disk management. 127gb is the max that could be addressed per partition but it since has been upraded in resent os implementations with the advent of larger then 127gb drives avalible.

Put your system specs in your sig, like many others here have. It'll help others when helping you :)

If you're on XP, you need at least SP1 to support >127GiB drives. If you're still on 95/98, you may be out of luck.

O sorry im just little ashame of my pc since its not wut I really wanted and its a buget computer.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45
ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm
Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W
COOLER MASTER C690
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 32 mb cache
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Windows Vista 32bit Service pack 1

Hmm... make sure you don't have any BIOS options set to limit hard drive capacity. There may also be a jumper on the drive you need to remove. If you haven't done anything to the drive, there should be a tiny little jumper on a couple of pins that limits it to SATA I speeds. Removing that jumper should increase performance slightly, even if it doesn't fix the 127GiB problem. Did you build this yourself or did someone else build it for you? Run diskmgmt.msc to see if the partitions are right.

Hello sorry for late respond... but I still having this problem

I did what petteyg told me to go to dismgmt.msc and I took a pic so you could guys could maybe take a look at it.

sshe1.jpg

what should I do to fix it and I took out the little jumper but nothing connected onto that port with the little jumper just these 2 other cables on the left side that is connected to the harddrive. Any help would be great.

And, there in the picture, your problem is obvious. The partition is 128GB. I don't know if live resize of NTFS partitions is possible. You may just have to reinstall, and delete that partition (and create a new one of full drive size) when you do.

Hello sorry for late respond... but I still having this problem

I did what petteyg told me to go to dismgmt.msc and I took a pic so you could guys could maybe take a look at it.

sshe1.jpg

what should I do to fix it and I took out the little jumper but nothing connected onto that port with the little jumper just these 2 other cables on the left side that is connected to the harddrive. Any help would be great.

Like petteyg359 said, your problem is obvious in the picture. Your 500Gb drive is partitioned into 2 areas:

C:/ which is 127.99Gb
Unallocated which is 337.77Gb

Not sure what was done on your install but you have 2 solutions:

1 - Complete reinstall. And when your installing make sure to delete the partition and create a new one using the full amount of available drive space so that you see 500Gb in windows and just 1 drive. (should be close to that, maybe a little less)

2 - Leave the Partition in place and format the "Unallocated" portion of your drive so that you can use it. To do this just right click the "Unallocated" space and choose format. Windows will do it's thing and then your all set to go.

The second choice is the easier solution, but you are losing some drive space.

in vista you can resize a partition without installing any 3rd party software. all you should have to do is right click on your 127GB partition, click "extend volume" then just tell it how much space you want to add.

The second choice is the easier solution, but you are losing some drive space.

Hardly. Having more than one partition on a drive won't lose you any space. However, a 500GB drive is ~466GiB, and Windows will show the size in GiB, so itmay look like you have less than 500GB, though you really don't.

Back