• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seasoned Builder, looking for some input.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's not an extra $15-20 if he has to buy a new OS though. I'd agree that at the current RAM prices, there's no reason not to get 8GB, but if he already has a 32bit OS...

True, but if there's only $400 right now, I'd prefer to put that all to hardware. Vista was much better after the service packs.

Well he is going to have to buy a new OS at some point anyway, he can't stay on 32-bit Vista forever...

he should upgrade his hardware first then just save up for a new OS later down the road

I would say that you try to recommend to your friend that they squeeze out * of money to fully optimize his build. Especially since its not going to be a very big change. If only 6GB RAM kits weren't just triple channel kits..

True, but if there's only $400 right now, I'd prefer to put that all to hardware. Vista was much better after the service packs.

Ram is hardware... And "I" (not saying it's fact, just stating my opinion) feel like having 8GB of ram is more beneficial than a little extra processor power.

he should upgrade his hardware first then just save up for a new OS later down the road

The money he would spend on windows 7 later down the road would be digging into his budget for a new graphics card. It seems like everyone forgot he is on a 6570. If he bought win7 now, then he could uses his "later down the road money" for a really nice graphics card.

I would say that you try to recommend to your friend that they squeeze out * of money to fully optimize his build. Especially since its not going to be a very big change. If only 6GB RAM kits weren't just triple channel kits..

$400 is all I can manage for now, I had to do a lot of talking to get him up from his original $300 upgrade budget.

Ram is hardware... And "I" (not saying it's fact, just stating my opinion) feel like having 8GB of ram is more beneficial than a little extra processor power.

The money he would spend on windows 7 later down the road would be digging into his budget for a new graphics card. It seems like everyone forgot he is on a 6570. If he bought win7 now, then he could uses his "later down the road money" for a really nice graphics card.

$400 is all I can manage for now, I had to do a lot of talking to get him up from his original $300 upgrade budget.

if you're so set on your opinion why ask us for advice?

I don't think he's set on his opinion. Like the thread title states...he isn't like most people posting here where it's their first build, this is just friendly discussion. When you nitpick at the finer details, there are usually multiple "correct" (correct being defined as best price/performance) options.

You might be able to get Windows cheap if you shop around a bit. College students, etc.

I don't think he's set on his opinion. Like the thread title states...he isn't like most people posting here where it's their first build, this is just friendly discussion. When you nitpick at the finer details, there are usually multiple "correct" (correct being defined as best price/performance) options.

You might be able to get Windows cheap if you shop around a bit. College students, etc.

we all have our opinions and it just seemed as though he lightly considered our suggestions.

Back