• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seek advice on new build: H110 fans/noise on i7-920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoXQi3x

I've setup a secondary PC to be a dedicated folder, and I've gone with a used i7-920/ASUS P6T and a new Corsair H110. I installed a HD7970 as a GPU. I've built in in an Arc Midi case, using NF-S12A for case fans and NF-A14s as push on the H110. It's currently running 4.0Ghz overclocked.

Thing is, I think the H100 is too loud. This is very apparent since my man rig (also overclocked) just got updated to the same cooler/fans, a 3770K w/P8Z77-V mobo, and is very quiet.

I see two factors: The 920 is hotter due to a higher TDP. Also, in the Arc I had to use the fan controller for case fans only, and the NF-S14As are plugged into CHAFAN1 and 2, which are 3-pin non-PWM plugs, presumably running full speed. (In my main rig they are both connected to the 4-pin CHA_1). By the way, the Pump is connected to the 4-pin CPU_FAN.

I seek advice on quieting down the fans - how can I, and what will happen to my temps?

Attachments

• arc_reboot_midspeed_ambient25.6_20.02edit.png
    arc_reboot_midspeed_ambient25.6_20.02edit.png
    35 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
What are you using to load the CPU for those temps and what's your room temps?

This is the PC with the H100i and the fans on 100%?

Lastly, I'm not sure but those fans on the H100i are only at 1500 RPM and could be poor static pressure fans also. Even at 1500 ish RPMs they might just be too weak to push good air through the rad.

Thanks for answering!
Load is Folding@home, ambient at the time of screenshot was 25,6C.
Yes, image is the i7-920 with H110 and 100% fans.
I am not at all sure if hardware Monitor really measures the NF-A14s correctly, if so maybe the AUXFANIN reading as indeed the max RPM is 1500. (As are the default Corsair fans).
I don't mean to be rude, but I am actually looking for ways to lower noise and therefore RPM :)

Ohh, if less noise get some great Rad fans, like Gentle Typhoon 1450 RPM, better pressure, 3 pin.

Going to be hard to make it cooler with less noise, that's not the best cooler. Your temps are pretty high on that CPU, not terrible, not great.

I would at least try to switch out the fan headers, the pump is fine to run at full speed all the time but fans are going to be loud. I only have the H100I and run it on quiet setting all the time with fans around 1050 to 1100. It makes very little difference at full load, maybe 2c between quiet and full speed. May be you could even wire them to one of the other four pin headers and control their speed.

Grab some of these. They have way better static pressure and still PWM controlled.
Make sure you have room for 38mm thick fans though.

Back