• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seemingly random Computer Freeze..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iseethemtoo

Registered
Just a shot in the dark, but if reading around these forums has taught me anything(its actually taught me many things in just a few days)....it's that alot of you peeps know your stuff.

Any ways...I got this loner computer my parents gave me when it stopped working for them, and hadnt really tried to fix it myself until now...

Seeing how Im in the process of de-newbing myself for my first build, this puter seems like a likely candidate for some good learnin'...

Anyways, the thing basically randomly stops functioning..nowarning..no sounds or anything...just becomes non nesposive..."frozen".

Its runnin winxp (actually i installed winxp originally on a different computer, then installed it on this one when parents dumped it on me...)...some telephone tech told me its cause you cant put xp on two machines and thats why it was freezing. Even if that would actually cause a freeze, it is not the correct answer because thats what it was doing for my parents and is why they got a new puter(they were not running xp at the time they had it).

Kinda vague info, but im sure this problem has showed its head before and i figured there may be a component somewhere you can think of that might be the culprit...

Failing that...maybe you could suggest for me a course of action to start trying to isolate and figure out what the problem actually is...then fix it.

ThankS!!!!!

iseethemtoo said:
Just a shot in the dark, but if reading around these forums has taught me anything(its actually taught me many things in just a few days)....it's that alot of you peeps know your stuff.

Any ways...I got this loner computer my parents gave me when it stopped working for them, and hadnt really tried to fix it myself until now...

Seeing how Im in the process of de-newbing myself for my first build, this puter seems like a likely candidate for some good learnin'...

Anyways, the thing basically randomly stops functioning..nowarning..no sounds or anything...just becomes non nesposive..."frozen".

Its runnin winxp (actually i installed winxp originally on a different computer, then installed it on this one when parents dumped it on me...)...some telephone tech told me its cause you cant put xp on two machines and thats why it was freezing. Even if that would actually cause a freeze, it is not the correct answer because thats what it was doing for my parents and is why they got a new puter(they were not running xp at the time they had it).

Kinda vague info, but im sure this problem has showed its head before and i figured there may be a component somewhere you can think of that might be the culprit...

Failing that...maybe you could suggest for me a course of action to start trying to isolate and figure out what the problem actually is...then fix it.

ThankS!!!!!

Its not random. The Devil is Fing with you hes real, I know, I built his cage.

This could be caused by several things. Memory issues and CPU overheating are fairly common. Could also be a software issue...corrupt program or OS.

Back