• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Selling Crunch Time ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhysX

If I put a system, together like the one below, Are there people that will pay to have it crunch for them ?

Core i7 920
ASUS P67T WS SC
6GB DDR3 2000
4 x GTX 295

Do you mean you want to be compensated for the electricity it will use to fold? I don't know if anyone else gets paid.... :shrug:

nah, say a team is in a race, anyteam, they wanna win, they out source their workload haha..

If I put a system, together like the one below, Are there people that will pay to have it crunch for them ?

Core i7 920
ASUS P67T WS SC
6GB DDR3 2000
4 x GTX 295

That is not really the point of the project, or why we do what we do. Many of us spend a good sum of money toward this project knowing we are only getting the satisfaction back of helping the cause.

Sure, it's not the point of the project. However, it could viable if you can find someone that is willing to pay for your time. No different than buying carbon offsets. Paying someone for their services, then taking the credit. I don't think you'll find anyone on this forum willing to do that though.

well good luck finding someone to pay for that service.

In the classifieds awhile ago i was selling MX518 mice, one member offered to crunch on my account for a month or 2 to get one. I said eh what the hell and did it. Worked out because it wasnt money out of my pocket.

Where's the fun in paying someone else to bring home a trophy for you? If I did that I'd probably end up throwing the trophy out because every day I'd look at it and say to myself, "I had to buy that because I wasn't good enough to win it" ...

Last edited:
If I'm going to pay for it, I'd want it sitting in MY house :beer: That'd be like leasing a car that you never get to drive, or even see. :screwy:
Of course with the price of the components you listed... I could see why one would want to offset the cost.

I guess I'll build one, for 50k rac cant go wrong haha, and obviously when the new gpus come out these ones will still sell for a decent amount to contribute towards the price of the new ones.

Core i7 920
ASUS P67T WS SC
6GB DDR3 2000
4 x GTX 295
Thermaltake Thoguht Power 1500W PSU

Case, I am not sure which one to sure, but since it will be using 4 dual slot video cards there needs to be enough space between the bottom gpu slot and the psu "or bottom of the case" for the bottom gpu, any ideas on which case to use ?

The point of SETI@Home (and any other folding system) are free because some computer are just sitting idling, wasting potential CPU power. By donating spare CPU power, your computer makes one very tiny but potentially valuable contribution to finding cure for cancer, solving world poverty, finding ET, etc.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone willing to pay for your computer's time. If they needed it, they would be more likely to go after any super computer class or computer that is well endowed.

The point of SETI@Home (and any other folding system) are free because some computer are just sitting idling, wasting potential CPU power

A lot of us build rigs just to crunch so it's not just using spare cycles anymore.

The point of SETI@Home (and any other folding system) are free because some computer are just sitting idling, wasting potential CPU power. By donating spare CPU power, your computer makes one very tiny but potentially valuable contribution to finding cure for cancer, solving world poverty, finding ET, etc.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone willing to pay for your computer's time. If they needed it, they would be more likely to go after any super computer class or computer that is well endowed.

I would say 4-5 TFOPLS is fairly endowed.

The idea that we're crunching or folding with "spare" cpu cycles has been untrue for several years now.

When your computer has no waiting work to do, it simply minimizes it's power to as low as you set it for in the BIOS. Since a computer that is shut down or in hibernation, has no spare cycles, it's plain we're not donating spare cpu cycles, anymore.

We're donating because:

1) The cycles are readily available to give
2) It's fairly cheap and don't appear to hurt the reliability of the system.
3) It's for a good cause.

We have certainly used an informal barter system: "You fold for us during this race, and I'll fold for you, right after it", kind of arrangement.

Bringing it into some contractual, strictly business kind of a lease, is not a big step, logically, but it feels like it, doesn't it?

I'm sure during the CC you would have your best chance of finding customers, if you had a strong folding farm.

Aside from that, I believe it would be difficult to market it successfully.

Back