• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's Mushkin PC6400 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sentential said:
Yea I know.... they need to fix that crap. its annoying :mad:

Maybe Memtest 1.6 fixed that?

On topic, those sticks are amazing. I bet you would do some serious damage with an x850 or 7800GTX.

So is this in? I have all my parts for my P5WD2/640 setup except DDR2 ram. I've been looking forever. Either this or the OCZ EB... what would you recommend? 5400UL is out of my range.

Ross said:
Thanks for the info Sen. Is the 3:5 divider only available >300FSB? Until they put out a BIOS that enables the lock free on other chips in that board, I am going to be stuck at about 260FSB.

I have been looking for other 6400 modules with similar latencies...so far Mushkin is looking like the best in that dept. I am tempted to order a pair directly from them. How long did it take to receive yours?

Thanks for the info and thanks for breaking me out of my Corsair "tunnel vision" ;)

Normal Free Shipping took me 3 days to get mine!

I think Sent overnighted his :)

whozyodaddy said:
So is this in? I have all my parts for my P5WD2/640 setup except DDR2 ram. I've been looking forever. Either this or the OCZ EB... what would you recommend? 5400UL is out of my range.

id get which ever one was cheaper. in all honesty ive never noticed any performance gains whatsoever from running the memory faster than the system bus. thats why i asked sent if he noticed any improvments in anything other than memory bandwith benchs.

if id run my memory 1:1 id get the exact same fps in games and 3dmark scores and superpi times (and just about the same everything else) as if i ran the memory faster than everything else. maybe its just me but when the memorys going faster than the system buss its just kind of spinning its wheels in the mud and not getting anything done with those extra mhz.

i could be wrong but im still waiting to be shown that i am.

hawtrawkr said:
have you noticed any jumps in 3dmarks or games? has it done anything for superpi times?
Yes Ive seen a very large jump in lobby, even without using LOD I bested my previous score by 1k. Observe:

compare.jpg

whozyodaddy said:
:confused: Mushkin has 130+ sets ready to go. So ya, they are in stock. I personally would reccomend this over anything. So far its the best clocking stuff on the internet.

Surfrat said:
Normal Free Shipping took me 3 days to get mine!

I think Sent overnighted his :)
That is correct

could some of the score diffrence there be from the 2 diffrent cards/drivers used or the diffrent clocks on the cpu/system? one side says it has lod tweak and one says it doesnt is that just a mistake?

sorry just trying to narrow it down a bit more. when id use the same hardware and the same clocks on the cpu with higher ram ratios id get almost identical scores as running it 1:1 thats why im wondering if some of the other diffrences in those 2 runs could factor into the score diffrence here or if it was just me.

hawtrawkr said:
could some of the score diffrence there be from the 2 diffrent cards/drivers used or the diffrent clocks on the cpu/system? one side says it has lod tweak and one says it doesnt is that just a mistake?

sorry just trying to narrow it down a bit more. when id use the same hardware and the same clocks on the cpu with higher ram ratios id get almost identical scores as running it 1:1 thats why im wondering if some of the other diffrences in those 2 runs could factor into the score diffrence here or if it was just me.

compare2.jpg

The set added is at 302 +1 LOD with the same vcard clocks as the leadtek. As you can see its still clearly faster. I cant unfortunatly do a 310 shot because that exceeds the max ram speed of this stuff :( (it would be 1051)

whozyodaddy said:
Is this what you have? If not, could you give me a linkie? Buying from mushkin is $255.00+.
Yes that is it. However if you use the ROJAK coupon it drops the price down to $235 I belive ;)

amer1337 said:
does it matter that the timings arent as tight ? or is mhz more important then timings.
The balance is more imporant. This stuff does poorly with 4-2-2. Very poor infact :shrug: It acts alot like TCCD in that sense. Would you prefer DDR400 2-2-2 or DDR550 2.5-3-3?

Same thing here. 710 4-2-2 or 1026 5-3-3?

Sentential said:
The balance is more imporant. This stuff does poorly with 4-2-2. Very poor infact :shrug: It acts alot like TCCD in that sense. Would you prefer DDR400 2-2-2 or DDR550 2.5-3-3?

Same thing here. 710 4-2-2 or 1026 5-3-3?

Poorly? How so?

Very nice work Sent. Finally DDR2 is starting to flex its muscles. I'll be doing a new system when it really begins to punch out.

R

would it be possible to get a 01se compare with your highest obtainable fsb with the memory then one with the same system/drivers etc with the memory running 1:1 to see the diffrences the extra memory clock gives?

would it be possible to get a 01se compare with your highest obtainable fsb with the memory then one with the same system/drivers etc with the memory running 1:1 to see the diffrences the extra memory clock gives?
I'd be interested in that too. Of course the faster memory speed is going to show much higher scores in pure bandwidth tests, but I'd like to see how much of a gain you get outside of those tests.

I just ordered some too :D With the ROJAK code (thanks for the tip), it was $229.50 direct from Mushkin, plus free shipping for orders >$100...nice! $70-$100 cheaper than the 5400UL and I'll give up some latency for MHz to save that much. This will be my first time using Mushkin and if they perform anywhere near as well as your sticks, I think it will be a good experience ;)

johan851 said:
I'd be interested in that too. Of course the faster memory speed is going to show much higher scores in pure bandwidth tests, but I'd like to see how much of a gain you get outside of those tests.

i was just asking because with my experience with ddr2 i never got a single gain in anything with ratios over 1:1. Ive heard others say theyd had similar results (batboy comes to mind right off the top of my head) just curious if it was just a problem a few of us were having or what.

ive always wondered what the memory is doing with all those extra mhz over the system bus it runs. ive got some of the top intel benchs around and ive tried to run the ddr2 as fast as it could go and still didnt get any gains or performance boosts over 1:1.

Ross said:
I just ordered some too :D With the ROJAK code (thanks for the tip), it was $229.50 direct from Mushkin, plus free shipping for orders >$100...nice! $70-$100 cheaper than the 5400UL and I'll give up some latency for MHz to save that much. This will be my first time using Mushkin and if they perform anywhere near as well as your sticks, I think it will be a good experience ;)

My total came out to $251.82. I got the 1GB (512x2) kit. Did they tax you? I live in CA... so tax is everywhere. :bang head

Back