• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's Ultimate Winchester Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
im pumping 1.55 vcore through mine and have been for about a month. havent noticed any core degregation or any oddness yet. you might want to make a post over at xtremesystems.org and see if they are noticing any of it. most of those guys are pumping an un-reasonable amount of voltage through their chips. i would assume that thiers would start dropping like flies long before ours would.

Overclocker550 said:
somethings wrong with my 9500np, its crashing at stock 9700 clocks now. If it dies, im going back to my ti4200 grrrrr........

tried 310/310 clocks and no go. It doesnt artifact, just shuts down or crashes. I am hoping its some software conflict, maybe the 4.11 drivers have some major bugs. Guess ill find out on my winchester cause this newcastle has to go

x800/6800 or Winchester upgrade = wasteofmoney/slow/nocrushingofnewcastle

dreIU said:
x800/6800 or Winchester upgrade = wasteofmoney/slow/nocrushingofnewcastle

I agree while he has is Winchester and itr may be faster then my Newcastle when he scails it up my system will still be better cuss of the video card

Well, obviously since there's barely any performance difference between Newcastle and Winchester, but 6800GT is probably more than five times faster than 9500.

Kicked the CAS latency from 3 to 2.5. Problem solved...so its definatly a RAM issue. Definatly looking foreward to getting some TCCD.

Sentential said:
Kicked the CAS latency from 3 to 2.5. Problem solved...so its definatly a RAM issue. Definatly looking foreward to getting some TCCD.

See? Patience can get you a long way. Hopefully the Black v2 will net you a healthy overclock.

deception``

man_utd said:
Weird how the hynix is hated so much by certain boards.

The BT-D5 is known to play a little nicer with A64 setups. But it is hard to try and squeeze so much performance out of such antiquated memory (the BT-D43 in this case).

deception``

deception`` said:
See? Patience can get you a long way. Hopefully the Black v2 will net you a healthy overclock.

deception``
Yea, i figured it would be the RAM. Oh well. Didnt plan to keep my hynix for maybe another month.

man_utd said:
Weird how the hynix is hated so much by certain boards.
Yea I know...very odd.<shrug>

man_utd said:
I'm seeing a similar issue on a 9700 pro OC550, pm me if you have any luck.

figured the problem, the 4.11 drivers are buggy, at least on my 9500np. went to the 4.10 and its yet to crash, if it does, the 4.9 have never.

"x800/6800 or Winchester upgrade = wasteofmoney/slow/nocrushingofnewcastle"

6800u or x800xt=$600+

3000+ winchester=$160

"I agree while he has is Winchester and itr may be faster then my Newcastle when he scails it up my system will still be better cuss of the video card"

yes but I will shrink the gap quite nicely and youll only be ahead in games, ill crush you in superpi, folding, compiling, rendering.....anything that doesnt use the gpu. Games are just one thing, computers have 1000s of other uses :)

"Well, obviously since there's barely any performance difference between Newcastle and Winchester, but 6800GT is probably more than five times faster than 9500."

ok lets see, what does a stock 9800 pro get in 3dmark 2003? 5800? I would get like 5500 marks. What would YOU get without using NULL or any cheats? 12k? maybe 13k. That isnt even close to triple, even if you cheated youd have a hard time getting 16.5k in 2003 and 2003 doesnt really use the cpu. Lets see 2001, youd be maybe 20-25% ahead. Depending how cpu intensive the game is, you probably wont double the fps I will unless we both run 1600x1200 with aa/af to push our gpus hard. I think my cpu upgrade is as significent as your gpu upgrade, just different paths for the same results=better gaming. faster cpu or faster gpu=more fps in games.

"Kicked the CAS latency from 3 to 2.5. Problem solved...so its definatly a RAM issue. Definatly looking foreward to getting some TCCD."

my a64 wont even post at cas3. boots fine at cas2 or 2.5 but both perform the same.

My system at stock gets about 6230.

I'd stick with Cat 4.10's as well if I were you. They're a solid set of drivers.

Gautam said:
My system at stock gets about 6230.

I'd stick with Cat 4.10's as well if I were you. They're a solid set of drivers.

Better yet are the Omega 8.07 beta's. Essentially they are the same drivers, just remixed. And best of all, NO CCC.

deception``

Btw Sentential, thanks for the help on AIM (im TrHeEv). I had two issues to overcome. First one was that I had my SATA in port 1, when it needed to be in 3/4 for reasons said in Zebbo's guide. It was holding my FSB back down to 240. I also upgraded my PSU to a Antec Truepower 550W EPS-12V (36V on the 12V rail. Its EPS instead of ATX so I use a 24 to 20 pin adapter). Then I just found out a second ago that my 3rd (and possibly 4th) RAM slot cant handle high FSB. Once I moved them to slot 1/2, albeit closer to the CPU, *so far* theyre at 275FSB at 2.5-3-3-8 1T at 2.70V and *almost* stable in memtest86+. Upping to 2.75 now. Using OCZ TCCD, good stuff! Going to shoot for 2600MHz now in a sec. Wish me luck. :)

BenStark said:
Btw Sentential, thanks for the help on AIM (im TrHeEv). I had two issues to overcome. First one was that I had my SATA in port 1, when it needed to be in 3/4 for reasons said in Zebbo's guide. It was holding my FSB back down to 240. I also upgraded my PSU to a Antec Truepower 550W EPS-12V (36V on the 12V rail. Its EPS instead of ATX so I use a 24 to 20 pin adapter). Then I just found out a second ago that my 3rd (and possibly 4th) RAM slot cant handle high FSB. Once I moved them to slot 1/2, albeit closer to the CPU, *so far* theyre at 275FSB at 2.5-3-3-8 1T at 2.70V and *almost* stable in memtest86+. Upping to 2.75 now. Using OCZ TCCD, good stuff! Going to shoot for 2600MHz now in a sec. Wish me luck. :)
Wonderful, thats exactally what I need stable on my system. Glad that you have a solid shot at 2.6.......cuz i sure as hell dont

Osirus: Well once I get my RAM stable it'll be time to get the CPU at something above 9x275 (2475MHz.) I normally don't have luck with overclocks, so don't get too happy yet. ;) If all goes well I'll up some screenshots and prime95 it til it bleeds. :)

Sentential: I guess I can just scroll up and read but scrolling through 32 pages isn't so easy heh. Whats the current status of your OC? What went wrong? :(

BenStark said:
Osirus: Well once I get my RAM stable it'll be time to get the CPU at something above 9x275 (2475MHz.) I normally don't have luck with overclocks, so don't get too happy yet. ;) If all goes well I'll up some screenshots and prime95 it til it bleeds. :)

Sentential: I guess I can just scroll up and read but scrolling through 32 pages isn't so easy heh. Whats the current status of your OC? What went wrong? :(
Try everything.... :-/ Im maxed out at 2.54. The most I can hope for at this point is to get awesome RAM to make up for my turd CPU.

Overall I absolutly hate it....there IS a special place in hell for this piece of ****, right next to a rusting heap of Thermaltake products.

Back