• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's Ultimate Winchester Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ouch. Well they max out at 2.6GHz I hear. Is it the 60 more MHz to 2.6, or the FSB, more so, that bothers you about it? Or both equally?

EDIT: I remember you really excited about the Winchester. 2.54GHz isn't a bad OC imho. Is there other factors to the chipset that bug ya? I can't tell just yet what I think about the Winchester. I wonder if a Newcastle would of been better, will know soon I suppose. Either way I'm going to just have to be satisfied no matter what it OCs to or what benchmarks say. Paid enough for the project, so I better be. :)

Last edited:
Gautam said:
My system at stock gets about 6230.

I'd stick with Cat 4.10's as well if I were you. They're a solid set of drivers.

not exactly, ever heard about the punkbuster/q3 crash?

and what is CCC? i might try those omegas once and for all...

good to see youve got some hope left sentential

i have a couple of pc4200 adata hyper-rams, these have the "good" hynix for a64 right???

Well, with the wonders of my own luck, I have successfully screwed myself.
I can get into Windows with 9x / 285 with stock voltage, but Prime 95 will error instantly, as it will do all the way to 1.60V. I'm down to 9x / 277, for a whopping 2497MHz. Doh. Hopefully it will prime at this, if it doesnt I'll cry. My memory is stable at 285 at 2.5-3-3-8 (if my memory (no pun) serves me right), but cant go much higher. Suckage.

Overclocker550 said:
yes but I will shrink the gap quite nicely and youll only be ahead in games, ill crush you in superpi, folding, compiling, rendering.....anything that doesnt use the gpu. Games are just one thing, computers have 1000s of other uses :)
Using a computer for something other than gaming? Really? You just opened a whole new world to me! :beer:

BenStark said:
Well, with the wonders of my own luck, I have successfully screwed myself.
I can get into Windows with 9x / 285 with stock voltage, but Prime 95 will error instantly, as it will do all the way to 1.60V. I'm down to 9x / 277, for a whopping 2497MHz. Doh. Hopefully it will prime at this, if it doesnt I'll cry. My memory is stable at 285 at 2.5-3-3-8 (if my memory (no pun) serves me right), but cant go much higher. Suckage.
:(...Like I said. Not everyone gets a champ. Nice RAM tho. Is that 512 or 256?

PhobMX said:
not exactly, ever heard about the punkbuster/q3 crash?

and what is CCC? i might try those omegas once and for all...

good to see youve got some hope left sentential

i have a couple of pc4200 adata hyper-rams, these have the "good" hynix for a64 right???

Catalyst Control Center. Omega chose not to include the unecessary utility w/o sacrificing the features.

deception``

Sentential said:
:(...Like I said. Not everyone gets a champ. Nice RAM tho. Is that 512 or 256?

No, they don't. I just built one for my neighbor. Same MB I have. 3000+ retail for him gives him fits about 2400.

Sentential said:
Try everything.... :-/ Im maxed out at 2.54. The most I can hope for at this point is to get awesome RAM to make up for my turd CPU.

Overall I absolutly hate it....there IS a special place in hell for this piece of ****, right next to a rusting heap of Thermaltake products.

dont be hard on yourself bro, venice is comming soon enough and then you can ditch this "turd" on ebay to help pay for the venice. I am gonna be realistic and just hope once my mobo comes that my winchester does 2.4GHz at 1.55v or better. That way I wont set myself for disapointment with such realistic expecations. Id say theres an 85% chance my winchester will be capable of 2.4GHz. at 2.5GHz it probably drops to 45% and at 2.6GHz perhaps 15%. those are stable 24/7 clocks too, not clocks that barely make it thru one run of 3dmark.

Overclocker550 said:
dont be hard on yourself bro, venice is comming soon enough and then you can ditch this "turd" on ebay to help pay for the venice. I am gonna be realistic and just hope once my mobo comes that my winchester does 2.4GHz at 1.55v or better. That way I wont set myself for disapointment with such realistic expecations. Id say theres an 85% chance my winchester will be capable of 2.4GHz. at 2.5GHz it probably drops to 45% and at 2.6GHz perhaps 15%. those are stable 24/7 clocks too, not clocks that barely make it thru one run of 3dmark.
No....Im gonna beat up on this sorry sack-of-**** until I sell it. This is just the way I am on my parts :D Im sure Ill be happy with CPU #2, which will probly happen shortly after Xmas.

If this cpu dies or stops working right, you will lose the $ on it. Just take her easy like I said, keep her below 2.5GHz. You need the funds this cpu will get you when you sell her for a Venice. There is a small possibility you may hit 2.6GHz but it still wont come close to a Venice anyway

Well I can definatly hit 2.6 now. Its a question of voltage. Just a heads up for those K8Ners here. Do yourself a favor and use the Beta v1.36 BIOS. The temps read right and all vcore options are open. For once I can get a solid 2.55 stable since I can finally use flexible vcore options to tune for a minimum of 1.56 to compensate for the undervolt

Hmm, maybe MSI is getting their act together on this. Sen, would you still have gone with the msi board, if you were to make your decision today? Or would you wait for an alternative, or an alternative today?

man_utd said:
Hmm, maybe MSI is getting their act together on this. Sen, would you still have gone with the msi board, if you were to make your decision today? Or would you wait for an alternative, or an alternative today?
Well to be honest...I'd probly get the Gigabyte. NOT the K8NSXP but the K8NS-939. It is cheaper and fits the XP120 with an adaptor plate. Thats probly what I would have done.

I like the mobo, but not being able to use the XP-120 blows.

Osirus said:
Sen - Ill have to give that bios a try. I would like to get more accurate temp readings.
Temps went down about 2-4c*. Load temps still read the same tho :-/

quick question:

i picked up a 3000+ winchester and a k8n neo2 platinum recently and i'm using a pair of xms pc3500 cl2 i had but the system's having trouble with stability with anything above 250x9 (htx4, 1.55vcore, mem at 166, relaxed mem timings)...can someone help me out?

Sentential said:
Well to be honest...I'd probly get the Gigabyte. NOT the K8NSXP but the K8NS-939. It is cheaper and fits the XP120 with an adaptor plate. Thats probly what I would have done.

I like the mobo, but not being able to use the XP-120 blows.

Temps went down about 2-4c*. Load temps still read the same tho :-/

I will buy your Xp-90!!!1

Yes ye syes, I will I will I will. However, you'd have to sell it soon, for as soon as newegg stops screwing up my cash, I'm getting the XP-90 and DFI or 16X DVD burner.

thousandLies said:
tried all that =\
What BIOS are you using?

________

Npetune3000 said:
I will buy your Xp-90!!!1

Yes ye syes, I will I will I will. However, you'd have to sell it soon, for as soon as newegg stops screwing up my cash, I'm getting the XP-90 and DFI or 16X DVD burner.
Once again...I'd have to get a whole new mobo to use it. Plus why dont YOU get the XP120. It fits DFi fine.

Back