• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sentential03's burn in's really do work for me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Let's hope no one fries their CPUs doing a burn-in... Make sure they know to watch temps.

I dropped about .25v stable altogether it seems on the Barton mobile . Nothing big , but I am impressed actually that it did work that far .. It is definately chip dependant ..

Any drop is an accomplishment. This burn-in works wonders, man. It's SO NEAT!! :)

Alright, so when i get my new processor, i turn down the Vcore till i can boot and run windows, then burn it in, then lower it, then burn in, then lower it till i can't anymore, then start pushing my MHZ up untill i either hit a wall or reach my goal mhz? And if i hit a wall, should i slowly start raising my Vcore till i can overclock further? Sorry if this is reiterating any questions.

Sentential said:
Basically you use minimal stable vcore. Lower the vcore to the breaking point. Where programs like Prime95 go for only 2-5 mins. Stable enough for windows to run, but not nearly enough for games.

From there you run a program like CPUburn for several hours. You should start to see results after the first burn. Unlike before where P95 would run for 2-5 mins, it should run well over 10 maybe even an hour.

From there you repeat the process, pushing the vcore lower and lower, until it is within the "acceptable / desired range".

From them you do the reverse. You hold that vcore and start pushing higher mhz in 1 -2 mhz (on the FSB) incriments. Repeating a burn in cycle each bump for atleast 4 hours. You keep doing this until you reach your original speed with alot lower vcore.

The final step is to "reset" your voltage settings to their original levels and push the mhz upward. You will see that the CPU will respond a hellova lot better. Generally speaking you will notice that you have both lowered the vcore and raised your top end anywhere from 150-350mhz.

I do this will all my CPUs and it works wonders. This work unlimited times and so far I havent seen a point where it hasnt helped. Granted it takes awhile, but for some its worth the effort
I hope you don't mind sen, I figured it would save some time.
Killa

I'm testing out this burn-in technique on my 3200+ Venice @ 2800Mhz w/ 1.5V. After i let CPU Burn-in run for 6 hours or so i'll see about dropping the voltage down to about 1.475V.

I'm trying it on my X2 right now. Honestly I don't see much of a difference after a few hours. It did seem to help during my last 24hr session though. I'm putting core2 through another 24hour session. Core1 is running prime because it should already be stable... I just want to see if prime runs the entire time :) The thing needed like 1.45-1.5v on core1 and ~ 1.65v on core2 to run 2.8Ghz.

Eric

g0dM@n said:
Oh, they take vcore separately? That's pretty hot.

No. Both have to be run 1.625v BIOS (1.6v should be fine by morning) but only because core2 requires it. On the bright side core1 is perfectly stable since its getting over .1v more than it needs :) I've been setting affinity on the burnin programs to just run on core2 so far.

Do long burn-in sessions... They do better, and I hope you're doing it when the core is at least a little stable. Don't do it when it's completely unstable. Then your PC may freeze, as it has on me before. :)

how do u burn-in memory? if you cant Super PI at 32mb and then trying to burn-in will it work still?

ewitte said:
I'm trying it on my X2 right now. Honestly I don't see much of a difference after a few hours. It did seem to help during my last 24hr session though. I'm putting core2 through another 24hour session. Core1 is running prime because it should already be stable... I just want to see if prime runs the entire time :) The thing needed like 1.45-1.5v on core1 and ~ 1.65v on core2 to run 2.8Ghz.

Eric
Hmm , why would core#2 need more V?

^^

Some cores just act differently than others, like two winchesters won't always clock the same and a specific voltage. Same kind of thing applies, the cores just happen to be in the same housing.

I find that very amusing, though... it seems to make sense when I think about it, but wait... actually, that's annoying! :(

Interesting, yes that is annoying but I guess there is much to learn about dual core cpu's

@ Sentential & ALL others ...

Hey Guys; has anyone ever thought about pre-burning a CPU even before is new mounted on the MoBo, like I have done with all my CPUs till now: [ http://freeweb.siol.net/jerman55/HP/preBurn-in.htm ] ? After this kind of "thermal Burn-in" I proceeded than with few weeks slowly step-by-step "electrical Burn-in" with working CPU inside PC running this: [ http://users.volja.net/jerman55/Burn-In.zip ] /16kb! only/ This stuff heats most - watch temps !!! It is no harder work for a Cpu than this for sure! Bye ... :D ...

Back