• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server 08 R2 network issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pvt.Dancer

Now normally I'm on top of any issue that has to do with network connectivity but this one is stumping me.

So I have Windows 08 R2 running the following roles, DC\DNS\file and DHCP so not much ATM it has been working great over the last few months since I set it up. last night messing with SQL I had to restart the server because I was having issues with the MySQL service starting so I restarted the server in an attempt to fix it. well when I got back on the server now cannot connect to the network. I can't ping it from my computer or from the Router nor can I ping out of the server, A couple of times I got it connected to the internet but still couldn't hit any local IP addresses.

I have tried setting it from static to DHCP and it will acquire an IP address that way but still cannot connect to the network. Tonight I was going to reinstall the network adapter just in case something got messed up with that but I'm not holding my breath.

Any Ideas? let me know if you want any more info I'm thankful for any help.

Can you ping localhost? Did you assign it the original IP address that you had previously? Can you ping via IP address but not FQDN?

Hmm, there has to be something going on here... Have you checked the event logs for anything that might indicate a problem? What are your network adapter settings via ipconfig /all ? While I am fairly confident that you have all of that covered, it just seems like it has to be something basic.

Hmm, there has to be something going on here... Have you checked the event logs for anything that might indicate a problem? What are your network adapter settings via ipconfig /all ? While I am fairly confident that you have all of that covered, it just seems like it has to be something basic.

No I appreciate anything you can give me. Yes I checked the logs and saw nothing that was standing out to me as being an issue. The setting shown in ipconfig /all are correctly pointing to DNS/and the Gateway and show the correct IP.

But I feel the same way it must be something basic.

EDIT: Found some errors that are all seemingly DNS related.

Error 408 The DNS server could not open socket for Address x.x.x.x
Error 404 The DNS server could not Bind a Transmission control Protocall socket to the address

Now time for research

Last edited:
You might want to check and make sure that the DNS server is configured to listed on the specific IP address that you have assigned to your server. (Open DNS Manager > Right click on your server > Properties > Interfaces tab)

I will have to try that when I get home from work today. but DNS is definitely the issue. Last night I switched DNS over to my gateway and reconfigured the network adapter on the server and presto it worked so I will be looking at that today and try switching it back to the server.

Thanks for your help by the way I appreciate it.

No problem. It is nice to help out when I can. Makes my certifications almost slightly worth it :). Glad to see that you have narrowed it down to DNS as that makes it much easier to track down from there.

Last edited:
Indeed it does. Can't believe I didn't see these errors. the thing is that they don't always show up sometimes they get overtaken with Info logs and just didn't see them. I know what you mean about certs too it certainly feels good to use something you pay for, just need to read up on this issue more so I understand what the error is saying but I think you are setting me on the right track here on fixing it.

Back