• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI as a Process?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skab

:mad: Daughter keeps turning off seti on MY notebook, somebody mentioned that it could be set up as a proccess on WinXP the other day but not how. Any body help here, just want it to run in background with out showing up in tray will be good enough. This is my computer, would never screw with someone else's comp.

This Has Worked Well for Me

Go to this page:

http://www.telepath.com/~dennison/Ted/SETI/SETI_Service.html

I have used this many times, HOWEVER I have used it with Win2K Pro. I would think it could be equally useful with WinXP but am not positive about that. It has very good documentation, and pretty much fully automates the process for you. The one thing I like about this one is it incorporates a browser based information and stats page about how your client is doing.

Once again, I HAVE NOT SPECIFICALLY TRIED THIS WITH XP!

SkyHook

Yes

"Running as a Process" or "Running as a Service", generally are interchangable. I'm sure that somewhere down deep in all the computer jargon there is a definable difference between a "process" and a "service", but for me they are one in the same.

SkyHook

Good Explanation

On that website I pointed to there is a pretty good explanation of the advantages to running the CLC as a service. I was never able to get SETIDriver running as a service, but I didn't really need SETIDriver for anything anyway so I didn't consider that a major drawback. As I mentioned in my earlier post that particular service installation routine provided it's own browser-based client monitor.

If you want it in a nutshell, running as a service means if the machine is on the client is running. There are no tray icons or stuff like that for people to be playing with. You can still control the client through the TaskManager window, so if you want to shut the client down you do it through there.

SkyHook

Services in windows run all the time in the background regardless of what user is logged in - if that gives you a general idea of why someone might want to do it.

I've got SETI running as a service on one of my boxes. I can't remember the page of instructions I used, but I'll try to dig it up :)

Running SETI as a service is really useful on machines that spend a lot of time at the login screen. The main drawback to it is that if you also need to cache WUs, you'll either need to be logged in when a WU ends (so the cache can give seti another WU), or have another computer cache for it. Since I've got 2 comps I keep the cache on my computer, and let the family computer suck up WUs when it needs them.

JigPu

downlaod firedaemon, install seti as a service, the end. search google for firedaemon. takes 10 secs to make it happpen.

Re: This Has Worked Well for Me

SkyHook said:
Go to this page:

http://www.telepath.com/~dennison/Ted/SETI/SETI_Service.html

I have used this many times, HOWEVER I have used it with Win2K Pro. I would think it could be equally useful with WinXP but am not positive about that. It has very good documentation, and pretty much fully automates the process for you. The one thing I like about this one is it incorporates a browser based information and stats page about how your client is doing.

Once again, I HAVE NOT SPECIFICALLY TRIED THIS WITH XP!

SkyHook

ive installed this on a laptop but i dont want to run it on it any more becuz it cases wear and tear of the harddrive, how would i uninstall this???

BTW: i use a compact flash card to do the crunching on my laptop.

In The Documentation

Within the docs that were packaged with that setup are specific instructions on how to uninstall. Or you can just go into "services" from the administrator's tools and change the load action from automatic to either manual or disabled.

SkyHook

lol jsut do what they said, they seem to know what they are talking about, i would not even care about this. if that were happening to me. just reopen it

Back