• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI Doesnt suspend while pc is in use, even though its set to

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Careface

Heres a copy/paste of a thread I made on the SETI forums... Unfortunately, I put the thread in the QandA section, which hardly anyone reads.. so Im hoping you guys might know :)

Whats the deal with this? Ive set the preferences to suspend while PC is in use, but it never does. Ive read the thread about the Home/School/Work bug, and its fine, it does remain "Yes", and yes, the pc is showing the correct preferences.. (Ive even tried the boinc client side override preferences) and yet it still doesnt work.

Does this feature actually work, and if so, how can I get it to work?

Btw, yes, my preferences are set to "Run based on preferences".

Cheers,

EDIT: Its on Vista btw. Works fine on XP, but both of my Vista rigs the setting does squat.

Cheers,
Careface*

Using a reasonably modern version of the boinc software?

Web profile settings are:
Suspend work while computer is in use: Yes
In use means mouse/keyboard activity in last: 3 minutes
suspend work if no mouse/keyboard activity in last: -- minutes
leave applications in memory while suspended: no (to free up ram)

Save preferences on web.

Open boinc client
projects tab
select SETI
Update

Then test to see if it suspends.

Yup, Im using 6.1.0.32 from Crunch3r (the one that lets you return results immediately after 1min, and has cpu_affinity).. Ive also tried the standard 5.10.28, and it works fine on my XP machine, and does absolutely nothing on my Vista machines. Tried both using web settings, and the client side prefs override and no go..

Unfortunately, my flatmate says he will only run SETI when the pc isnt in use.. and if I cant get this to work, Ill lose the pc :( And given that his PC over doubles my RAC, Id kinda like it to be part of the team..

Thanks for the quick reply

I'd try un-checking 'on batteries' and see if it's any different. As soon as you switch from 'Run Always' to 'Based on Preferences', when you move the mouse all running tasks should suspend. You might also try the 'Read local Prefs file' option on the bottom of the Advanced menu.

Well, actually I could think of what it is. I realised I was using Crunch3rs "special" app, so I reverted back to the latest 5.10.30, and it worked.. Oddly, I tried it with 5.10.28, and it doesnt work on said machines.. I guess thats one of the things they fixed.

Either way, thanks for the help :) but since I have your attention, is there anyway to hide the BOINC tray icon without 3rd party programs? Unfortunately, if its run as a service (which it is) and you close the manager, the suspend if active function no longer works, and SETI will run constantly. I can understand his reasoning for not wanting the icon there, but yeah.. any way around this?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it in Vista lol.. God, I need to learn to stand on my own two feet before bombarding you guys with questions.. sorry about all this >_<

Back