• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, computer is stuttering/pausing every 2 seconds, even in the bios.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

My computer isn't overclocked, its running stock.. I was overclocking it when I first got it a little over a week ago but not hardcore.. I was just seeing what it could generally get at and I haven't had these issues before.. So the last 3 days or so all ive been doing is playing Witcher 3 and running at stock settings.. I played like 7 hours yesterday and turned the pc off and went to bed and today I turn it on and now I have these stutters.. The screen was full of artifacts and I thought the video card was going bad but then the screen came on fine.. And I found out it wasn't artifacts but it was because the screen was pausing every 2 seconds.

It does this in the bios, in windows as well.. Ive tried resetting the cmos, switching to the 2nd bios, swapping memory slots, using 1 stick of ram, unplugging all my HDD's my mouse my keyboard, I swapped video cards, I used my an old 8800GTS, and my older 4890 ATI card and still does it so thankfully it isn't my video card.. Or my memory or my HDD.. I took the cpu out cleaned it, put it back in and still does it.. I noticed it only does it when the screen is moving though. Typing to you guys right now everything is fine, the little smiley face things are moving I can type without any stuttering and the ads are working but if I scroll the screen down or it moves down after my sentence goes to the next line then it stutters... Also the screen I noticed kinda flickers too like when you first turn a LCD on.. Could this be my monitor ? I have no other LCD to try out, cept I guess a T.V

Have you tried a different PSU? A PSU going bad can cause all kinds of issues. I had one where all seemed fine except for the USB ports. Disable the ports in Bios, and it appeared to run fine, so I thought there was something wrong with the USB ports or controller. Eventually, the PSU did finally fail and the system would no longer stay on or boot up, which is when I swapped PSUs and the system ran fine with everything enabled.

I'm crossing my fingers it's a PSU issue, but if it's not and since you've already tried so many other components, have you tried a different CPU and/or motherboard as well?

No this is my first LGA1150 system, I upgraded from a C2D 775, I just found out the problem. It is my monitor..

I just hooked up a LCD t.v using the HDMI port and it works fine.. I can keep both monitors hooked up and use a duel desktop and when I move something on the screen over to my old monitor then the stuttering starts but only on that monitor and the T.V is fine..

This sucks !!! If it isn't one thing its another when it comes to stuff breaking.. I wonder if its a fixable problem like a capacitor going bad or something. Any idea's what causes a monitor to start pausing like that ?

I really don't like this T.V lol Its just a cheap LCD proscan... Resolution only goes to 1360x768.. I can go to 1080p 1920x1080 but the desktop isn't positioned right if I do... lol... UHG such a pain man.. EDIT: nvm I fixed that resolution using underscan on the amd CCC.. But this LCD has such a large pixel pitch I can see all the pixels... !! Guess I have no choice to use this though since my pc monitor went bad.

Guess on a positive note this T.V is like 30 inches lol over my 19inch and the resolution is higher at 1920x1080 vs 1680x1050 but still the picture isn't as sharp because of the poor pixel pitch...

Last edited:
You can take it apart and see if anything looks amiss. This is the first time I heard of a monitor failing in that manner.

Driver issue wouldn't explain it also happening in BIOS though

Took the monitor apart its a viewsonic VX1962WM and the power board has a buldging capacitor..

Any idea's what kind of capacitor this is and what I can safely replace it with ?

20150531_232849_zpsiif6rnf6.jpg

Nevermind im an idiot.. I forgot like 5 years ago or 6 years ago I had taken this monitor apart for blown caps which was common for this brand. and the 2 blue ones were the ones I had replaced.. I had also bought a 3rd one the big one in the picture but never replaced it because it was fine.. I just went in my Junk drawer and I found it still in the package so ima replace it now.. Cant believe I forgot about that lol.

Hopefully this solves the issue

ok its fixed. Thank god...

You know the funny thing now though is I actually liked using that huge screen.. Its too bad the pixel pitch was crap though.. Like all the writing and stuff were blocky because the pixel gap was too big.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capacitors always have their values on them, you can look at it and find out all the values you want. In case the letters on it are blurry or whatever, you can find the circuit layout on the web and find out what capacitor it is.

Back