• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up a ram disk? For BF3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Decompression is certainly CPU limited. Just try compressing an image file, then decompress, and calculate the throughput.

From my experience, lzma (7zip) can do about 2mb/s. With zip, maybe 20mb/s. I havent seen anything faster than 100mb/s with reasonable compression ratio.

Decompression is certainly CPU limited. Just try compressing an image file, then decompress, and calculate the throughput.

From my experience, lzma (7zip) can do about 2mb/s. With zip, maybe 20mb/s. I havent seen anything faster than 100mb/s with reasonable compression ratio.

The problem with this example though is that SSDs that compress data decompress it in hardware on the drive itself. GPUs do the same thing by utilizing standard S3 compression and dedicated decompression hardware.

SSDs are not CPU limited in any way. Some specific, processor intensive, tasks certainly are, but that doesn't show anything about the relationship between CPU and data interface. We have more of a bottleneck from the SATA controller than anything seeing as some SSDs are already topping out 6Gb SATA.

The simple proof that the CPU isn't a bottleneck is watching a CPU push data around in RAM at 5000 to 8000MB/s. Even an Athlon XP could move data around in the 1500MB/s range with dual channel DDR. A Slot 1 Pentium III with slow FPM memory... yeah that'll be painful. If you had one with an on die 6Gb SATA controller you'd be better off just running everything in virtual memory haha.

Back