• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SFC Scannow found corrupted files but cannot fix them

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I seem to be getting this issues a lot it happened last year and in the end I created a update version of my Windows 7 disc with nlite to make a slipstreamed verison with the latest updates but I am having issues with Uplay and downloads and I decided to do an SFC scan and it's reporting back of corrupted files AGAIN. I tried in the past to fix them with what I found but in the end I fresh installed how do I fix this issue without a format I tried Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

But it didn't work says DISM is already in use, how do I go about installing windows via a repair but not to lose anything of my system my games, vids and pics are on my other drives away from the OS drive I have

When sfc /scannow reports corrupted files it is not always to be taken seriously. It throws up false positives sometimes according to my research.

Run chk disk at boot, and check the repair box. I've had the same issue with W7 and that fixed it. You may have to run it two or three times, as it will fix more things each run.

How do we differentiate between the real and false alarms ?

You have to look at the log file...

Use this cmd:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

That will dump the log file into a txt file on your desktop. If you find errors that are tied to a KBxxxxxxx --- those are the "false positives" (sfc errors produced by updates to the OS, hence the KBxxxxxxx tag next to them) If you find other errors... you may have other issues going on.

-tc

Run chk disk at boot, and check the repair box. I've had the same issue with W7 and that fixed it. You may have to run it two or three times, as it will fix more things each run.

What tool are you referring to? I just use command prompt or Power shell with admin priviledges and type chkdsk /f /r. Then reboot and the scan will commence.

Alaric, is that doing a chkdsk scan for bad data clusters or a sfc /scannow operation to check system file integrity?

My original advice was intended to be to check for bad sectors, something the SSD won't have. That was my screw up.

I realize that but used with a spinner the Windows GUI tool you reference is it doing what chkdsk does or what sfc /scannow does?

No, it looks for bad disk sectors and moves the data, or rewrites it correctly, in a different sector and blocks Windows access to the corrupt sector.

edit: It only works pre boot, and it can take a while on a big HDD. I saw it take 20+ minutes on my old 750 GB Seagate Barracuda, and that's a 7200 RPM drive.

Last edited:
Back