• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sharing Permissions for W8 (permissions..) can not fix problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyij

I am trying to share files and pretty much the whole drive I have recently setup using Flexraid (flexraid is nice for using with windows for a software raid solution where you can use any number of drives and any number of parity drives, and if more drives you loose then have paritys for, you only loose data on those drives, not everything)..

Well I used flexraids share option and setup a file within the drive called "backups" and then I looked into windows to configure it but it seems that IS what flexraid did automatically.

But it will not let me access the drive, saying you do not have permission to access "\\server\backups"

It is set up to be that directory
I have disabled Password protection
Sharing level is set to everyone has full controll, I even tried making the drive shared to everyone but this did not solve it either
Security is also set to everyone..
Windows auto detection was useless as it said problem could not be found

Help would be helpful.. thanks. :ty:

Ima bout to give up with this Sh*t microsoft keeps selling to the public!

Nothing is working, I have now even attempted to turn off firewall, join homegroups... anything and everything every other fourm as mentioned as a possible soln..

Also everytime the W8 machione restarts it resets the shares?! And then if you goto the network locations via another computer and have yet to "reset" the shares, the computer just restarts.

Please help

Let me know if you need more detailed steps.

1. Ensure that both PC's (Win8 host, WinX client) are setup in the same Homegroup. (This includes Workgroup name, IP range, etc.)
I would create the Homegroup in 8, then join others to 8's homegroup.

2. On Win8 Host; Start > All apps > Right click Computer > Manage.
Expand Shared Folders > Shares > Right click empty space in middle pane > New Share
In Wizard: Next > Enter Folder Path > Next > Setup share path/name > Next > Customize Permissions giving specific or all users full control > Finish > Finish

3. Still on Win8 host > Right click on System Tray adapter icon > Open Network and Sharing Center
Left Pane: Change advanced sharing settings. Under "Private (current profile)", ensure that "File and print sharing" is set to "Turn on..."

I was just able to get a Win7 VM to access a share on a Win8 VM by only configuring the above. (Win+R: \\host\share)

Attachments

• Windows 8 Pro x64-2012-12-15-08-43-53.png
    Windows 8 Pro x64-2012-12-15-08-43-53.png
    38 KB · Views: 70
  • Windows 7 Pro x64-2012-12-15-08-44-47.png
    Windows 7 Pro x64-2012-12-15-08-44-47.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Back