• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I buy another GTX 680 or get a single GTX 780Ti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RainbowUnicorn

Registered
It's my birthday soon and i'm planning on saving money to by my self another 680 I have the "EVGA SuperClocked+ GeForce GTX 680 2GB " model and I haven't seen it sold anymore also i'm not sure if it will work with any other 680 or should I just buy a 780ti? P.S. I know two 680's will take more power, put out more heat and sometimes SLI is unoptimized but most games I play are optimized for SLI . . .

I want to know in the end which one will perform better at gaming.

Also which models will work will my 680 or they will all SLI with it ?

I don't know, it's a hard choice really. A 780Ti will last you a long time and you can add more of those later, where the 6xx series is aging.

I have two GTX 670s and I have no problems in SLI, I find the problems stated with SLI to come from people who have no clue what they're talking about/have never experienced SLI.

You can turn it off individually for programs in which it doesn't work in Nvidia's control panel. This eliminates any/all problems I've encountered. Games that SLI is not optimized for generally do not need SLI. I get ~40-60 FPS in Crysis 3 with both GPUs at 100% at 1080p with everything on maximum. Since 670s and 680s are only 5% apart, it applies to you as well... obviously =P

It's your choice really, either way you'll have amazing performance.

SLI setups generate a LOT of heat, and you have a reference blower card (like I do) and they can get really hot even with great airflow (I have 5 Yate Loon High Speed fans interacting with the air in the case that always run on maximum or near maximum RPM and the cards still get to around 75c with both maxed.)

I would say unless you have really exceptional cooling to get a 780Ti, or a non-reference cooler GTX 680 to pair with your current one. Any 680 will work as long as it's a GTX 680.

If you're sticking to 1080p I'd stick with the single card purely for more consistent performance without the extra heat and noise Etc.

I frankly don't feel 1080p requires multi cards really. But I'm very much a single card kind of guy. And I've got a gtx 670 running 2560*1440.. So I'm not really a graphics nut either. I put everything in ultra then work from there downwards til I get good performance and good quality. (dropping things like aa ambient occlusion and shadows)

Back