• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I get the mobile 2500+ barton???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

C_MAC

Registered
Hello, I was recently trying to put a budget A64(s939) system together, when i realized I good shave about $200 of of my budget A64 system!!! by going with a mobile 2500+ and a soltek mobo. Heres the system i was thinking about

ANTEC BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE (350W smartpower)...$70
SAMSUNG 512MB PC3200 DDR400 184PIN OEM...$77
XFX GEFORCE 6600 GT 128MB VIDEO CARD...$280
Seagate 200gb...$130

-------------------

with A64 3000+...$180
with MSI neo plat....$174
total system (with tax/shipping)...~$1020 (CND)

OR

with mobile bartoon 2500+...115
soltek nforce 2 mobo...$60
total system (with tax/shipping)...~823 (CND)

-------------------

In both cases I would be overclocking the CPU, I know the A64 would end up being faster than the 2500 oc'd but would it be worth the ~$200 difference.

Depends, the performance the mobiles offer are much more bang for the buck but the a64 are just plain faster. It depends on you, if you want the best the a64 is the better choice but if you were looking for the best bang for the buck it would be the mobile.

ah you're too late..you should have went for the A64..it runs way faster in gaming at least..reported from the benchmarks..you can evne go with the s754..if you're really in tight budget..3000+ NC is $150 at newegg and mobo is about less than $100 for an OK one

If you're building a new system it only makes sense to buy an athlon 64. The mobile bartons are terriffic CPUs. (I have one and love it.) I just think if I was in your position I'd want this purchase to last as long as possible. An extra $200 seems like a lot, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Of course, to a point, this is all subjective. If you're on a somewhat tight budget I wouldn't dissuade you from the mobile XP. As I said, they're wonderful chips. Performance is far from poor. They're probably the best value in CPUs that I can recall.

Thanks for the input. I think I will be going with the A64. I'll be getting the 3000 and the msi neo plat...but i want to save some $$$ so could someone suggest a cheaper card than the 6600 without taking to much of a performance hit.

If you plan to overclock, or at least take full advantage of your on-die memory controller - I would consider getting a good RAM.

This Samsung 512 for 77$CND (??) looks like the 3-3-3-8 TCCC I have.
It can be overclocked fairly well but you'll just fail to get lower RAS# from it .
Perhaps switch to A64 2800+ and Corsair 3200 XMS/Kingston HyperX.

Good choice with the XP.
I'd ONLY go A64 if I wanted the SLI setup.

Saving $200 you can get rid of that crapper 6600GT (sell it!) and buy yourself 6800 Ultra. You can find one for $550 Canadian if on ebay if you like.

If you really want to save money.....watch where you shop.

$280 for the XFX 6600GT is highway robbery. I got mine for $230 at, strangely enough, TigerDirect. Newegg also has good prices, though I think ZipZoomFly has em cheaper right now.

well...I would go w/ the AXP Mobile and 1024 ram and a 6800NU/gt insted....thats what I did..Insted of Going A64 and not upgrading RAM i went for a nice 1024 TCCD(220 however CH-5 is $180 from newegg (pdp brand) and is very nice ram for the price. Also a 6800NU might not "beat" the 6600gt AGP by a lot...it will overclock better and has the chance of becoming a 6800 with 16/6 (nice performance gain)

Back