• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I go to win 8.1?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok so I went out and got 8.1 64 bit. Installed it no problem. Did several reboots after driver installs etc. no problems. However..... I have had to do a clean install three times because when I go to reboot or shut down after a period of time, when 8.1 reboots it gets stuck in a auto repair loop that won't allow it to be fixed by restore, repair, etc. have you heard of this happening with 8.1?! I called tech support and they were worthless...told me to take it to a certified ms tech locally....wtf is that about.!?! Please help as I just did a clean install again and am afraid to reboot. /sigh

That would happen if you're installing it on a mechanical drive and the drive is going bad or has bad sectors and is corrupting the install. A sure sign the harddrive is failing and will eventually die out.

That can also happen if your optical drive is going bad and not reading the disk correctly. Clean the rom drive with compressed air and see if that helps.

Ok so I went out and got 8.1 64 bit. Installed it no problem. Did several reboots after driver installs etc. no problems. However..... I have had to do a clean install three times because when I go to reboot or shut down after a period of time, when 8.1 reboots it gets stuck in a auto repair loop that won't allow it to be fixed by restore, repair, etc. have you heard of this happening with 8.1?! I called tech support and they were worthless...told me to take it to a certified ms tech locally....wtf is that about.!?! Please help as I just did a clean install again and am afraid to reboot. /sigh

Sounds like maybe silent HDD corruption, possibly because of a bad board on the HDD. If that's the case, then good luck with PCB swapping for your HDD. :(

If it's a bad board or the like on your HDD, then it's possible for MHDD and the like to find nothing!
(But you get Windows errors anyway and randomly.)

(I was given a 2007 Western Digital Caviar WD5000AAJS 500 GB HDD that behaved like that, I think it had a bad board or a bad component on the board, because I got errors from Windows and the boot loader, even when MHDD found nothing!)

(And when testing the HDD as a secondary under another Windows installation, it also caused Chkdsk to have strange behavior, giving false errors and Windows and/or the formatting program usually giving an error when trying to format it.)

Last edited:
Sorry that you're extremely resistant to change and can't learn a new UI.
The Metro interface is WAY faster once you're used to it (might have taken me a week, more like 3 days) and it functions as your start menu.

People UPGRADE to 8.1 for a faster OS, longer support, and more features. Have fun being stuck in the past :)

What exactly is way faster in Metro than windows 7.

I have a samsung ssd. I did a clean install and cleared the CMOS on the mb before putting on 8.1. Created several restore points during all of the driver and win updates. Have restarted/shut down/power on like 10 times now and not getting the error. I also disabled the automatic repair from the boot file in the cmd prompt bcd command.

What exactly is way faster in Metro than windows 7.

I'm faster at general computer use with the Metro UI. It searches faster when you type into the start menu.

Wingman, I understand that you don't like 8.1, but it is faster than 7 and will have continued support for things like DirectX for longer than 7.
8/8.1 are the way anyone buying a new OS should go, get over it.

I'm faster at general computer use with the Metro UI. It searches faster when you type into the start menu.

Wingman, I understand that you don't like 8.1, but it is faster than 7 and will have continued support for things like DirectX for longer than 7.
8/8.1 are the way anyone buying a new OS should go, get over it.

Just what I thought you cant put your finger on why you think 8 is faster using it.

I'm not the only one by a long shot that thinks the 8.1 does not belong with a mouse, I work with people in the PC business and people who like 8.1 are the minority, so you should get over it.

Last edited:
Just what I thought you cant put your finger on why you think 8 is faster using it.

I'm not the only one by a long shot that thinks the 8.1 does not belong with a mouse, I work with people in the PC business and people who like 8.1 are the minority, so you should get over it.

I've linked you proof before, go back and look at it.

Then use Classic Shell, problem solved.
The point is that it's cheaper, faster, and newer.

Edit: Went and found the thread for you.

Last edited:
I have an identical Windows 7 and Windows 8 install on different partitions of the same SSD.

Both User Interfaces are the same because of Classic Shell.

Windows 8 boots faster and it is generally snappier. There are many small improvements under Windows 8. Literally everything is the same under Windows 8 after proper Classic Shell installation with the additional benefit that I can use Metro apps if want to (I don't need to - but it's nice to have that option), I can with one press of a button switch to full Metro UI (I don't need to - but it's nice to have that option), there is zero reason to reboot into Windows 7 for me.

Whenever someone said something wasn't working under Windows 8, it was user specific... Classic Shell resolves 99% of criticisms of Windows 8. Classic Shell turns one of this thread's poster's comments upside down:

Why would anyone use Windows 7, when Classic Shell gives you *all* the options of Windows 8 while given you the option, just the option, of using Windows 7 user interface on it. Who cares what someone else chooses to use, Metro or Classic... our common enemy are the developers who take away our ability to ourselves select Metro or Classic, however and whenever we feel to use either, (or not.)

This is here is quote for the win:
I wouldn't tell anyone to buy 8.1 if they have 7 but since you are buying new I would say just get 8.1.

A lot of gamers would argue that games work better on Win 7. I'm not a gamer and use Win 8.1 at the office and Win 7 at home. At the office I'm mostly in Word, Excel or Outlook. So there is no difference for me. I'm rarely at the desktop. But I prefer Win 7 at home.

A lot of gamers would argue that games work better on Win 7. I'm not a gamer and use Win 8.1 at the office and Win 7 at home. At the office I'm mostly in Word, Excel or Outlook. So there is no difference for me. I'm rarely at the desktop. But I prefer Win 7 at home.

I haven't noticed a difference in games going from 7 to 8.1, and I have a machine with each right now.
Haven't had any game compatibility issues with 8.1 either.

There will be a huge difference when DirectX 12 comes out for 8/8.1 though, as it won't release for 7.

As I previously stated, there is not a snowballs chance in hell I will install W8. Nevertheless, after reading this thread again something caught my eye that might just change my mind. It has been previously stated W8 is faster than W7. Specifically where does this speed difference manifest itself and is it consequential (i.e. very noticeable)?

I am using a W7 machine (not the one in the profile below) with two Samsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSDs (C: & D:, not RAID) and a very fast CPU. It boots up in just a few seconds so speeding up how fast it boots from what it does now is meaningless. The only time the machine makes me wait for anything is when starting certain software packages such as Paperport. Paperport takes a long time to get started. Paperport also keeps me waiting when saving a just scanned image. I always attributed these delays to Paperport. If W8 would significantly reduce these delays I could consider W8 if Classic Shell will indeed make the interface indistingushable from W7.

So, that leads me to my second question. Will the overhead of Classic Shell negate the speed advantages W8 supposedly has?

I updated to Win 8 as soon as it came out, and then 8.1, same thing I did with 7, and Vista, and each time I hear this or that about why updating isn't the best idea, but bar a few minor resolvable issues, I've never really had a problem or a compatibility problem (when I have I went to properties and ran it in Win 7 mode, problem solved)

For me now it more comes down to a preference of if you like the new design of the whole OS or not, I don't mind it for the most part, but there are a few things about Win 7 that I wish were still available, but all in all nothing to complain about.

It looks like I'm the only one who doesn't use the modern interface and does not use an aftermarket start button either. With 8.1 windows key + s brings up a search bar which works much better than Windows 7's search. Going to important settings like Device Manager or network connections is much quicker on 8.1 also.

Hell, even on my tablets I barely touch the modern UI. Don't say it's forced and you have to use it, because you don't.

Going to important settings like Device Manager or network connections is much quicker on 8.1 also.

Hell, even on my tablets I barely touch the modern UI. Don't say it's forced and you have to use it, because you don't.

Not for me it's not. Extra work just to bring up the wifi network info and bring up the network adapters.

That dumb UI is everywhere on that useless laptop of mine that has Win 8 on it. even Classic shell can't eliminate it.

I'm sorry but Windows 8 & 8.1 are a joke. I pray Windows 9 is more like Windows 7, otherwise I'll just run Win 7 for the foreseeable future.

It looks like I'm the only one who doesn't use the modern interface and does not use an aftermarket start button either. With 8.1 windows key + s brings up a search bar which works much better than Windows 7's search. Going to important settings like Device Manager or network connections is much quicker on 8.1 also.

Best post I've seen about the Win8 UI in a long time.

I'm the same way, I hit the Win key and start typing away.
The search takes you right to everything you want.

Not for me it's not. Extra work just to bring up the wifi network info and bring up the network adapters.

That dumb UI is everywhere on that useless laptop of mine that has Win 8 on it. even Classic shell can't eliminate it.

I'm sorry but Windows 8 & 8.1 are a joke. I pray Windows 9 is more like Windows 7, otherwise I'll just run Win 7 for the foreseeable future.

Network info? It's in the system tray on the desktop, right where its always been.

As I previously stated, there is not a snowballs chance in hell I will install W8.
[...]
If W8 would significantly reduce these delays I could consider W8 if Classic Shell will indeed make the interface indistingushable from W7.

So, that leads me to my second question. Will the overhead of Classic Shell negate the speed advantages W8 supposedly has?

Classic Shell simply makes Windows 7-like features of Windows 8 default. I would not abandon a working Windows 7 install, absolutely not. But fresh install, there is no reason not to go with Windows 8 + Classic Shell. The changes in speed are not overly significant. Windows 8 will not give you huge improvements in speed, so no do not abandon your Windows 7 - but next time you do a fresh install and you actually own both Win7 and Win8 and have an EQUAL CHOICE of what to install - go with Windows 8 + Classic Shell because there is no User Interface difference b/w it and Windows 7.

Last edited:
...there are a few things about Win 7 that I wish were still available, but all in all nothing to complain about.

What is available in Windows 7 that is not available in Windows 8 + Classic Shell?

Don't say it's forced and you have to use it, because you don't.

Windows 8 without Classic Shell absolutely forces us to use features which get in the way of superfast computing. Classic Shell "eliminates" them by making them a CHOICE instead of forcing them on us.

What can't Classic Shell eliminate?

Windows 9 will bring features ALREADY present under Classic Shell, except there will be less of them. Classic Shell already gives us Windows 9 features, and much more.

What is available in Windows 7 that is not available in Windows 8 + Classic Shell?
Permanent Shadow Copies ("Restore Previous Versions") I read was replaced with "temporary" VSS copies that are lost upon reboot.
What can't Classic Shell eliminate?

Windows 9 will bring features ALREADY present under Classic Shell, except there will be less of them. Classic Shell already gives us Windows 9 features, and much more.
On my laptop there is this line on the touchpad, that when you touch the space past the line, this stupid side bar appears and centers the mouse over the "Start" menu option which opens that dumb start menu tile thing M$ invented.
It's incredibly annoying to not be able to use the whole touchpad because of that dumb feature that i can't turn off.

Back