• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I go to win 8.1?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree.
Out of curiosity:
What did you use Permanent Shadow Copies for if I may ask.
Also, does the laptop have touchpad options where the key can be re-assigned or disabled?

I agree.
Out of curiosity:
What did you use Permanent Shadow Copies for if I may ask.
Also, does the laptop have touchpad options where the key can be re-assigned or disabled?

The shadow copies are these:
Capture.PNG

As for the touchpad, I looked around and there down't appear to be any software installed for it. I'm going to assume it's some built in feature designed with the laptop itself :-/ :shrug:

Silver, I would have to dig to find it, but the functionality for persistent shadow copies is hidden in a Feature.
It is enabled by default in Server 2012, which is Windows 8 with different features enabled by default.

Use this
http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html
If it finds shadow copies, then they are still being made.

It may be difficult to find, but manufacturers usually include a utility that controls touchpad features. It would be unusual if they did not. Check manuals/web page/contact manufacturer support.

Last edited:
Silver, I would have to dig to find it, but the functionality for persistent shadow copies is hidden in a Feature.
It is enabled by default in Server 2012, which is Windows 8 with different features enabled by default.
Hmm... Interesting. What I read said they were gone for good. :shrug:
If you find the link some time, post or shoot me a PM or something. :)

@c627627
I will look around :salute:
Thanks for the tool as well :thup:

Well I've been thinking about getting another SSD & doing a clean install of win 8.1 for a long time. but us old farts aren't usually big into change.

After reading through this thread I believe I'm going to give it a try. I'm going to put it in my sig machine & keep my win 7 SSD so I can dual boot to it in case of problems or I want to blow it away.

I'm like some of the other posters, I just don't like the new UI. I don't own a tablet or laptop. I don't belong to any social media site, so that new format just didn't impress me at all. :chair:

Back