• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i match fan speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I just got my Emermax UCCL12. Now before i even get started with the question, i want to explain why i only got 1 and not 2.

Pic of setup:
IMG_0722_big_thumb.JPG

As you can see the Emermax is placed at the back to exhaust air and im still using the stock Corsair on the other side. This is because i dont like visible LED's from out side the case, and the emermax placed where it is will give ambiant light in the case.

Now to the point.

The Emermax is alot more silent then the Corsair, and works better, which means i am running it higher RPM then the Corsair, but should i match them for better airflow or is this setup fine?

Red is Corsair - Blue is Emermax
temps_big_thumb.png

Should i match speeds (set down the emermax) or is fine as is?

Matching speeds may cause some harmonic issues, sounds you may not like. Give it a try, find out if that is the case or not, but you may find that more air pressure into the rad (via higher fan speed) is necessary to maintain a constant rate of flow (due to the rad's resistance) even considering that you have a 2nd fan pulling air out of the rad.

What you have to bear in mind the Emermax is a higher flow rate fan compared to the Corsair fan! Try to turn the Corsair up a bit say 1150rpm or if its to noisy turn the Emermax down to 1150 instead. And then run Prime95 small FFTS to check your system for heat issues Bro. AJ.

Trying to match by RPM aloneby itself is useless; unless you know the performance curves for each fan
One fan might "deliver" more CFM or less pressure or more "noise" at the same RPM as the other. So, unless you have curves for both....
In any case for a rad, try to keep them both up as high as possible without having your ears bleeding :) So experiment with settings to find a nice match in performance and (low)) noise.

In short, you dont need to match RPM, as long as you keep it sensible .. running one fan at 2000 RPM and the other at 600 RPM will kill the slow in the long run :)

Trying to match by RPM aloneby itself is useless; unless you know the performance curves for each fan
One fan might "deliver" more CFM or less pressure or more "noise" at the same RPM as the other. So, unless you have curves for both....
In any case for a rad, try to keep them both up as high as possible without having your ears bleeding :) So experiment with settings to find a nice match in performance and (low)) noise.

In short, you dont need to match RPM, as long as you keep it sensible .. running one fan at 2000 RPM and the other at 600 RPM will kill the slow in the long run :)
+1 :thup:

Well you can see how they are running the moment, i'll bet the Corsair isnt near as good at the Emermax, and the Emermax is running higher RPM.

As they are running now, im not seeing much temp difference, maybe a few degrees higher then normal, so i should setup the speed on the corsair, but it is the loud one.

I am planning to replace it in the near future, with another better and silent fan.

If your temps are good, who cares? That's my feeling anyway.
No reason not to up the corsair's speed for testing though.

There is no silent fan. Fans get better in small increments. If you have pushed your CPU cooler to it's physical ability, no fan will make it better. Also, CPUs can take more temp than you think.

There is no reason to focus on 50C CPU temps under load and have fans at CRAZY loud levels when the CPU doesn't care if it's at 50C or 70C. It's a balance. Folks forget that quickly.

I looked at the temps and assumed this was on an AMD board.
Being Intel, 70c is perfectly acceptable, over 80c is getting a bit warm.
You really don't have anything to worry about.

Back