• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I reinstall my HSF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Da5id

In 2010 I purchased an expensive PC from a boutique builder with a Thermaltake V6. This is a very large HSF "hanging" on an MSI Big Bang X- Power X 58 chipset mainboard. The place is 90 miles away so it was probably shipped 120 miles by truck.

My primary symptom is that even when I removed the overclock Prime 95 still heats things up to 65°C and Core Temp shows the temperature jumping up and down in 10° increments as the CPU is mildly stressed in every-day computing. I don't really game, but I use speech recognition and a lot of multitasking.

Can anyone say that this seems like a clear case of the failure of HSF (which, BTW as two 120 mm push-pull fans) to cool this I7 950 correctly and I probably should just reseat it with some Arctic thermal paste which have already purchased along with two different kinds of alcohol and a spreader kit.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Temps are safe until 75°C.

You can re-seat though, it won't hurt things.
Just pull the heatsink off, clean the heatsink and CPU with rubbing alcohol, put a small dot of TIM on the CPU, and put the heatsink back on.

ATM, thanks for your response. Keep in mind when you say "it can't hurt" I can always mess it up. Right now I think it works. I just don't know if it's normal for core temp to bounce up 10-15 degrees and then back down in a blink of an eye.

Just depends on how much of a load the CPU is getting.
That's still a tad high for a V6 at stock though.

In 2010 I purchased an expensive PC from a boutique builder with a Thermaltake V6. This is a very large HSF "hanging" on an MSI Big Bang X- Power X 58 chipset mainboard. The place is 90 miles away so it was probably shipped 120 miles by truck.

My primary symptom is that even when I removed the overclock Prime 95 still heats things up to 65°C and Core Temp shows the temperature jumping up and down in 10° increments as the CPU is mildly stressed in every-day computing. I don't really game, but I use speech recognition and a lot of multitasking.

Can anyone say that this seems like a clear case of the failure of HSF (which, BTW as two 120 mm push-pull fans) to cool this I7 950 correctly and I probably should just reseat it with some Arctic thermal paste which have already purchased along with two different kinds of alcohol and a spreader kit.

Thanks in advance for any info.

When you say Thermaltake V6, are you saying you have a Thermaltake case and a CoolerMaster V6 HSF? Or is Thermaltake V6 the case it's self?

Sorry for the sloppiness. Full tower InWin case — the one with the 8 inch fan on the side panel. The HSF is CoolerMaster V6. The company of the V-8 fame. Anyway, it's running 38 to 40° at idle and 5 percent CPU with its DO stepping keeping at less than 2.5 GHz. It still pops from 39° to 45°C and then back down again

Sorry for the sloppiness. Full tower InWin case — the one with the 8 inch fan on the side panel. The HSF is CoolerMaster V6. The company of the V-8 fame. Anyway, it's running 38 to 40° at idle and 5 percent CPU with its DO stepping keeping at less than 2.5 GHz. It still pops from 39° to 45°C and then back down again

What CPU? Intel or AMD? If you have a Intel CPU, your temps are fine, I use the V6GT. I did build 1 Intel system and here is what my temps were with Prime 95 after 6 hours:

6hours.jpg

DSCN0623.JPG

The HSF is the V6GT

Last edited:
Back