• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I update my AMD Phenom II 1055T to a AMD FX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

henpup

Hi, I currently have a AMD Phenom II 1055T processor and a AMD Radeon Graphics Card (single card). I am wondering if I should upgrade to an AMD FX Processor or just stay with a AMD Phenom II and upgrade my Graphics Card to a AMD Radeon 290X.

Also what would be a good graphics card or processor to upgrade too?

Current Rig:
RAM: 16 GB
Processor: AMD Phenom II 1055T
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5830

Thanks

Nope. Stay where you are and overclock, or go intel. What motherboard do you have?

290x is a complete and utter waste of money. For 2/3rds the cost you get 90% of the performance, which is still pretty overkill for your 1055t.

On THAT rig, I'd go 280x/gtx 960. You wont really utilize a 290x very well with a 1055t.

Ditto. Not much improvement from a bang for the buck standpoint to move up to FX. Spend the money first on the GPU.

One note though, if this is for gaming and you play games that are Cpu dependent you may want to upgrade the Cpu. If for Gpu based games then I agree with the above.

One note though, if this is for gaming and you play games that are Cpu dependent you may want to upgrade the Cpu. If for Gpu based games then I agree with the above.

the x6 processors are pretty strong for gaming though, ESPECIALLY when overclocked.

the x6 processors are pretty strong for gaming though, ESPECIALLY when overclocked.
Agreed, but some of the newer titles that are more Cpu bound will put it through it's paces. Overclocking it will definitely help, though.

Agreed, but some of the newer titles that are more Cpu bound will put it through it's paces. Overclocking it will definitely help, though.

FX chips are getting long in the tooth lately. Perhaps dx12 will give more of a reason to upgrade to an FX chip.

Back