• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should sides always be exhaust? Tower 900 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zellio

Registered
I'm building a dual custom water cooling loop in a tower 900:

https://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002974

People say sides are always intake, and as you can see from the case it has two rear fans and two ceiling fans. I've deviated from the norm a tad though. I decided to do a push and pull setup. Now who needs this? Well who also needs dual custom water loops? Also all of the fans except 2 are rgb...

Here is a pic:

1AKB80Q

Is the two rear fans enough to keep the negative air flow from those fans blowing so close to each other happening? Or should I flip one so that one side exhausts?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Okay that picture link did not work and I dunno how to edit posts so here's a regular link

Your post is a bit confusing.

Are you asking if it's OK to have the sides as exhaust? Yes, as long as you're getting adequate airflow.

"Is the two rear fans enough to keep the negative air flow from..." There is no such thing as negative airflow. There is only airflow or a lack of airflow. If you are asking if you will have positive or negative case pressure you can test this yourself. Using a feather or other similar, very light object, placed near one of the case vent holes to see if you have air being sucked into the case. This would indicate negative pressure while air being pushed out of the case signifies positive case pressure. Keep in mind you don't want to do this too close to a fan as it will spoil the results.

Your post is a bit confusing.

Are you asking if it's OK to have the sides as exhaust? Yes, as long as you're getting adequate airflow.

"Is the two rear fans enough to keep the negative air flow from..." There is no such thing as negative airflow. There is only airflow or a lack of airflow. If you are asking if you will have positive or negative case pressure you can test this yourself. Using a feather or other similar, very light object, placed near one of the case vent holes to see if you have air being sucked into the case. This would indicate negative pressure while air being pushed out of the case signifies positive case pressure. Keep in mind you don't want to do this too close to a fan as it will spoil the results.

The two rear fans would basically be placed right between the two sets of fans. Did you look at the picture? So just from your opinion, do you think it would be bad to have so many fans blowing against each other so close to each other? Both are being used as intake

You're probably better off making the rear rads as exhaust. I know there's only one fan up top for intake but the vacuum created from the rear shouldn't be an issue finding some air as if you were to exhaust back into the case, it could get warm in there possibly but if you aren't sure, you could just test out both methods and go from there.

You're probably better off making the rear rads as exhaust. I know there's only one fan up top for intake but the vacuum created from the rear shouldn't be an issue finding some air as if you were to exhaust back into the case, it could get warm in there possibly but if you aren't sure, you could just test out both methods and go from there.

Both or just one? Wouldn't having one side exhaust keep the air flowing better? I'm not sure how much the inner intake fan can pull up considering the case is pretty self contained

I'd honestly think this is a try and see situation. This isn't a typical setup.

In the end, I don't think it will matter but a few C at most. I'd exhaust whatever I could though out of that case considering you have 2 reds firing at each other.

in my tower 900 I am running 2 980ti's right now, I have to run all fans as exhaust and install the extensions to set the tempered glass offset, if I don't the cards overheat.

Yeah I don't know why but they should have at least designed the case for say 120.4 of intake fans at the bottom of the case.

I have to say outright that is quite the beautiful case, unfortunately looks are not everything!

I'm not really sure why they didn't opt for dual fans in the top of the front and rear compartments?

Front wise if the motherboard VRs are air cooled they need air flow, and rear wise if 2 full length rads are used they need air to do their jobs.

No matter how well a case looks the airflow has to still be accounted for and if the side HDD cage is removed for full radiator on both sides, that rear air access should definitely be larger for the maximum intake air to feed the 2 large radiators.

My X wife was beautiful on the outside but inside was a completley different story!

That said: This is my personal suggestion.

Zellio, I would have set the radiators to exhaust the heat out of the case and all the other available fan holes as intake. Reason being your picture shows the 2 radiators pushing heat directly facing each other into the case that heat is being sucked into the power supply below because in the setup it is being used as an exhaust fan.

Back