• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silence in a hot enviroment

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

feyd83

I'm building a rig for my girlfriend using an Antec case with 120mm intake in front and a 120mm exhaust in the back. I'll be running a 2500+, possibly mildly overclocked to 400fsb @ around 2ghz. She wants to keep the case in a cabinet, so I'm guessing it will be warm.

Which would be a better bet for keeping it cool @ low noise, a MCX462-V or a SP-97? Or would my extra SLK-900A I'm currently using on my back up rig work well enough?

yes, no cabinet...unless the cainet also has intake and exaust, ducted to the computers ones.
It will be rebreathing the same hot air, over and over, and it will get amazingly hot in there....untill the computer lock up, and the constant heat would surely kill it over time.

It has an exhaust, but I doubt I'll be able to talk her out of it. That's why I'm going for 120mm fans and a decent HSF so it doesn't kill itself.

You mean like my cabinet?
Just make sure that you have the proper air flow:
cb20.jpg

cb15.jpg

My server here runs pretty cool. I got some speaker mesh for the front so there is airflow.

well exausting air from a box with no intake is futile...sure you cant put a hole somewhere ducted to the case intake?

Guess it will just have to suck it through the cracks in the door. I'll see what I can do about it.

you know a good place to put holes in your cabinet just might be the underside, if it stands a little off the carpet/floor and air can get to the underside.

might get a little extra dust but it's better than dying of heat.

anyhow, underneath it'll be invisible and will reduce the sound coming out of the cabinet too (compared to having the door open.

could even put the computer on feet and put the hole in the cabinet underneath the computer. your GF might not ever even know .... :)

the wesson

point your g/f to this thread and make her read this:

IF IT GETS TO HOT IT WILL BREAK!!!! and a to hot enviroment even if it works shortens the lifetime of your componets drastically...

man I know there are some statistics for server rooms and why they should have air conditioning. I think evey 3C added shortens the lifetime by half if it is over 25C or something like that.

Perhaps let her try it out, then make her feel how hot it is. I know that would talk me out of it. On my mothers desk, I took the boards out of the back of the cabinet for airflow.

Besides, how will she run the wires out?

Back