• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI: A tax on the uninformed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate,

Please take a look at the direction this thread is taking. Innuendo is as bad as it gets. You don't have to use foul language to drop the STFU bomb. If any of you feel this thread is pointless and saying this be the sole content of your post, how about NOT POSTING? The OP reiterated his opinion, that SLI is a rip-off. I certainly don't agree with him, but I did so without getting into personal pronoun based arguments. Why is this so hard to understand?

The OP may have requested flames, but that does not mean anybody should flame him. These forums are here to provide a friendly, civil avenue for discussion. Flaming is certainly not tolerated. I'm really surprised that you are trying to justify what transpired, with this argument. :)

How is the OP biased? Does he have a stake in non-SLI components? He may be wrong (I think he is wrong), but its not right to tag him as biased.

Sorry for veering this thread off topic. I will say no more.

S-N

nikhsub1 said:
JEmlay, spam is frowned upon.
I absolutely agree. However it's not spam if it has a point or is related. In order to qualify as spam it must be unsolicited. So far three of us liked it. I'm glad it got quoted before it was removed.

His post was the complete opposite of an unsolicited opinion. Therefore, not spam.

However, if what he wrote is something this forum sensors then ok. Understood. As a long time moderator myself, this should have been something to lock and not sensor. I don't think too many people are taking this thread seriously.

Last edited:
The point here is not one of the technicality of it being spam, but one in the relam of common forum etiquette; i.e not making fun of others. That is exactly the problem, people are not taking this thread seriously. Humor is most welcome and provides relief, but I don't see any humor in anything that was said here.

Super Nade said:
Good. The only reason I'm replying to this post is because there where specific questions directed at me. I just wanted to let you know that I won't be answering any of them. If you don't already "get it" from my explanation then there is nothing else I can do to allow you to "get it". Go back and read my original post. Maybe you missed it? The OP can have all the opinions he wants but the comments he made where blown out of the water.

If I say I hate the moon because I hate the color purple....don't you think someone is going to CORRECT my supposed opinion? You can state fact with opinion but the facts better be right or your opinion is going down with the false facts.

Also, I can't speak for everyone but so far I haven't seen a single "STFU" attitude as you so put it (which could be considered the first account of foul language in this thread). I think some people here read MORE between the lines then what was ever put there.

Super Nade said:
The point here is not one of the technicality of it being spam, but one in the relam of common forum etiquette; i.e not making fun of others. That is exactly the problem, people are not taking this thread seriously. Humor is most welcome and provides relief, but I don't see any humor in anything that was said here.
Ok, that's you opinion. Go back and read, others disagree. Fare enough.

"Not make fun of others"
Others or this thread? It's not personal. I can't speak for him but my impression was he made fun of this thread TYPE and not the OP. I could be wrong...

ViperJohn said:
And what are you using to test everything. If you do not have the system speed you are going to go no where real fast with an SLI or CrossFire setup.

Viper

Viper i have a DFI Ultra-D with SLI mod, 3800+ @ 2.6ghz, 1gb of BH5 @ 260 2-2-2-2, 74gb Raptor, and a GTO2 @ 550c 610m 16p.

Super Nade said:
Mate,

Please take a look at the direction this thread is taking. Innuendo is as bad as it gets. You don't have to use foul language to drop the STFU bomb. If any of you feel this thread is pointless and saying this be the sole content of your post, how about NOT POSTING? The OP reiterated his opinion, that SLI is a rip-off. I certainly don't agree with him, but I did so without getting into personal pronoun based arguments. Why is this so hard to understand?

The OP may have requested flames, but that does not mean anybody should flame him. These forums are here to provide a friendly, civil avenue for discussion. Flaming is certainly not tolerated. I'm really surprised that you are trying to justify what transpired, with this argument. :)

How is the OP biased? Does he have a stake in non-SLI components? He may be wrong (I think he is wrong), but its not right to tag him as biased.

S-N

Thank you SN its i understand that you dont agree and i know that many dont. its the ones who can ask the better questions and make me defend my positon that further this disscussion.

JEmlay said:
Did this poster use foul language? Did he post illegal material? Why was his post removed? Just because you didn't understand it doesn't mean the rest of us didn't. He was trying to say, THROUGH EXAMPLE, just how rudimentary and pointless this thread is. The only thing this post proves is that the OP has nothing to gain, financially, from SLI. Whoopty Doo. Frankly, the OP is the one attacking those that already have SLI rigs as I pointed out in my post above. Not sure what you expect here?

The only thing his TEST FIGURES (or lack there of) prove is that SLI is NOT an exact double in performance. Two cards does not equal double the performance. We already knew that. He claims MANY people are buying SLI without knowing this info. He was asked "what people" and never replied. He then further claims that two lower performance cards will outperform a single higher performance card and that simply isn't true. My 7800GTX 512MB might be able to outperform first generation SLI cards but with anything recent I don't stand a chance.

I haven't seen a single personal attack. Plus the OP requested flames. Again, not sure exactly what you expect here?

The OP is biased and that's all there is to it. These are the reviews you are supposed to STAY AWAY FROM.

He was asked "what people" and never replied... your right i was and i did reply several times. even just yesterday there was another person asking if he should go SLI i asked what res his screen did and he replied, he seemed totaly unaware that SLI would not improve his game play at 1280x1024. These people are out there, look around read how may topics start with SLI and you will see.

Last edited:
infinitevalence said:
even just yesterday there was another person asking if he should go SLI i asked what res his screen did and he replied, he seemed totaly unaware that SLI would not improve his game play at 1280x1024. These people are out there, look around read how may topics start with SLI and you will see.

What does someone asking if SLI is for THEIR specific needs have to do with SLI not being worth the money? Even to those who already have SLI? I agree a good "Is SLI For You" thread would be helpful however this thread is anti-productive and full of miss information.

Again, my first post covers all this. This is just going full circle.

However, check this out. I suppose you just kept that person buy buying into an SLI mainboard? What if he gets a larger monitor in the near future? You just killed his chance at being able to upgrade his rig to a killing machine.

I hope you FULLY informed him/her instead of just supporting your campaign against SLI.

infinitevalence said:
he seemed totaly unaware that SLI would not improve his game play at 1280x1024.
I also call bull on this one. 3DMark default settings match that and are lower (depending on version). They show great improvement with 2 versus 1 card.

You have already been proven wrong on many accounts. Until you go back and address those issues how do you expect anyone to take you seriously? "Someone bought two 6800's when they could have just bought one 7800"....even though that 7800 didn't even exist yet.... whatever the exact scenario was. Things like that are called false truths. While they speak the truth they don't give the entire story to allow the person to make an INFORMED CHOICE.

Last edited:
Holy crap! Brick wall anyone?

EDIT:

3DMark06 (like hardware, same specs, no OC)
A: Single 7800GTX 512MB - 5815
B: Dual 7800GTX 512MB - 8262
C: Dual 7800GT - 6767

There are a few things to note here:

1. A dual 7800GT stomps a single 7800GTX. So your BS theory on WAITING for the next best is total crap.
2. Explain to me how I can have better then "B" RIGHT NOW. TODAY. No OC.
3. These are at 1280X1024!

According to you I would be stupid to buy another 7800GTX today. I should just wait for the G71, right? You think the G71 will stomp a dual 7800GTX? Wrong! Why should I "wait" just so you can force an invalid theory on SHOULD OF, WOULD OF, COULD OF?

You are comparing apples and oranges. A few months from now you'll be describing how our dual 7800GTX setups are stupid and worthless because we could have just bought a single G80. Then anyone with a dual G80 setup wasted their money because they could have bought a single G90..... like I said, this is pointless!!!

If you want the very best today then SLI is 100% the way to go. If you want an upgrade path then SLI is 100% the way to go.

Example:
You buy a 7800GT for $400
A year later you want to upgrade. But look the 7800GTX 512MB are $800-$900!!!!!!
You can buy another 7800GT for $300

Gee, look...you not only paid LESS but have a more powerful solution. It's not black and white dude. You need to look at current prices and you need to figure out the best bang for your buck. Sometimes it will be SLI and sometimes it wont. Either way SLI is NOT a waste, it SERVES it's purpose.

So now that the Nintendo Revolution is coming out and it can play all past media have I totally wasted my money on the first 4 consoles??? Give it up.

Last edited:
SuperFarStucker said:
Wow, all I can say is this thread is begging for a lock.

Yeah, after you've had your chance lecture a bunch of strangers about the unchecked dangers of consumerism. No where in the real world could some of you people behave the way you do here.

SuperFarStucker said:
I can't fathom what makes people think investing in computer hardware is a reasonable thing to do to begin with. It confers little advantage in gaming, depreciates rapidly, and doesn't roll over well with the SO (you spent $450.00 on a green thing with a lump of metal on it, WTF?). I say if people want to have an SLi rig, let them have one. LEAVE THE POLITICS AT HOME! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX - KRAG
In fact, I see all this 'that is such a waste of money' nonsense as a rationalization over your own spending. Almost all of us could get by on a lot......

What happened to your post?

I thought this was a respectable forum??? Mods going around hacking peoples posts and injecting their own commentary for no good reason. What the heck? Since when is someone's opinion breaking the rules? No one even had a problem with that post other then their own view on it.

This forum needs some mod checks!

JEmlay said:
Holy crap! Brick wall anyone?

EDIT:

3DMark06 (like hardware, same specs, no OC)
A: Single 7800GTX 512MB - 5815
B: Dual 7800GTX 512MB - 8262
C: Dual 7800GT - 6767

There are a few things to note here:

1. A dual 7800GT stomps a single 7800GTX. So your BS theory on WAITING for the next best is total crap.
2. Explain to me how I can have better then "B" RIGHT NOW. TODAY. No OC.
3. These are at 1280X1024!

According to you I would be stupid to buy another 7800GTX today. I should just wait for the G71, right? You think the G71 will stomp a dual 7800GTX? Wrong! Why should I "wait" just so you can force an invalid theory on SHOULD OF, WOULD OF, COULD OF?

You are comparing apples and oranges. A few months from now you'll be describing how our dual 7800GTX setups are stupid and worthless because we could have just bought a single G80. Then anyone with a dual G80 setup wasted their money because they could have bought a single G90..... like I said, this is pointless!!!

If you want the very best today then SLI is 100% the way to go. If you want an upgrade path then SLI is 100% the way to go.

Example:
You buy a 7800GT for $400
A year later you want to upgrade. But look the 7800GTX 512MB are $800-$900!!!!!!
You can buy another 7800GT for $300

Gee, look...you not only paid LESS but have a more powerful solution. It's not black and white dude. You need to look at current prices and you need to figure out the best bang for your buck. Sometimes it will be SLI and sometimes it wont. Either way SLI is NOT a waste, it SERVES it's purpose.

So now that the Nintendo Revolution is coming out and it can play all past media have I totally wasted my money on the first 4 consoles??? Give it up.

I never said one 7800 could beat two 7800's i said two 6800's dont beat a 7800.

2 of the top end card are always going to be better than one, no argument from me there, but are you really saving money getting two older cards in SLI or getting one newer card? Thats what my argument is about.

also put in two 6800's set your monitor to 1280x1024 and set your in game setings to their highest settings now play. then pop in a 7800 with the same settings and play. tell me wich was faster, wich was better, because they are going to play just about the same.

Well, let me try to state in brief what I have gathered from the last few posts.

Valence says by the time the price on the second card drops to make SLI a viable alternative, a new single card justas powerful as the SLI setup may have arrived. So, it would make sense to sell the first card and go for the more powerful single card whose advantages in terms of power consumption and heat output are obvious.

However, this argument is not backed by the situation on the ground. My dual 6800GS will cream any single 7800GTX in any test (RW or synthetic). It cost me less money too. However, as I have mentioned earlier, the advantage does not lie in fps, but in both cards sharing the AA/AF load.That directly translates to better picture quality (smooth edges) 1024 x1240 or not :)

As a counterpoint, one must not neglect the fact that the single card comes with advanced shader features (you can unlock it via Rivatuner). But solely on price, I would have to disagree with Valence. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back