• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI: A tax on the uninformed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
infinitevalence said:
it had come to the point where people were just buying SLI with out thinking

Who, exactly, is "buying SLI without thinking", and how is it that they are not thinking?

Oh, and as a side-note, it looks like LegitReviews is a little less legit. ;)

infinitevalence said:
Despotes: im glad its still going, it had come to the point where people were just buying SLI with out thinking. now people are thinking about it again, asking is this what i need or what i want. That for me is more than enough of a win, i dont care how many people agree or disagree with me. I just want to ensure that the important question gets asked.

If there are people buying w/o thinking then we have more Oprah watchers here than I thought. hehe
Stop watching Oprah people and start using your brains! :p

I can't fathom what makes people think investing in computer hardware is a reasonable thing to do to begin with. It confers little advantage in gaming, depreciates rapidly, and doesn't roll over well with the SO (you spent $450.00 on a green thing with a lump of metal on it, WTF?). I say if people want to have an SLi rig, let them have one. LEAVE THE POLITICS AT HOME! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX - KRAG
In fact, I see all this 'that is such a waste of money' nonsense as a rationalization over your own spending. Almost all of us could get by on a lot less. I imagine some people here will really wish they did spend less money on their machines when they are still paying for it 15 years from now. Spend what you can afford, or what you feel is comfortable (whichever is less) is probably the best advice which can be given in this regard, besides a good old credit card burning.

It is senseless to wax about how your are frugal when it comes to spending money on your computer, aside from it being an oxymoron it does not apply to all the other people here.

It is pretty gross to think that there are some spending money they could be using to get an education or some such on computer hardware, but thats reality. Just like the crack junkie seems unable to help himself in the face of his own addiction. Consumerism is out in full force in the computer world, no doubt.

If you're dissappointed with not having a 128 processor array of G70's with 64 GiB of memory just look out your window sometime.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read reams and reams of posts, but nobody has answered my question :) :-
Valence, other than cost, you are not making any technical objections to SLI, right? So, if one lands a good deal or obtains parts from the second hand market (like I did), is SLI a viable alternative?

Me said:
I'd have to disagree with you on one point, i.e, that there is no RW use for SLI. When SLI'ed, I can play games with better image quality, because I have enabled the SLI AA mode. Note that if you are looking for raw speed, you will be severly CPU limited. Heck, I'm CPU limited with a [email protected]. If you doubt my findings, send me a pm and I'll point you to my detailed experiments.

Finally,a general observation regarding the tone and tenor of this thread forces me to say, "if the personal attacks don't stop, I will pm a mod and have this thread locked and other strictures issued. Please be civil."

Thanks,

S-N

Super Nade said:
I've read reams and reams of posts, but nobody has answered my question :) :-
Valence, other than cost, you are not making any technical objections to SLI, right? So, if one lands a good deal or obtains parts from the second hand market (like I did), is SLI a viable alternative?

Thanks,

S-N

Thats right i have no technical objections to SLI, it does do what they said it would do.

Well, Then it all depends on how good of a deal you can find, right? As it stands, I'm with you on the cost factor. Even mid range video cards are getting to be expensive. Just look at the ridiculous price of a 6800GT :rolleyes:

About the CPU bottleneck:
does SLI itself put additional stress to the cpu?

Why should it be any different than a super-high end VC? The CPU sees it as a data stream. It may stress the Motherboard though. So, in brief, I believe the act of SLI'ing per se won't introduce its own CPU bottleneck (I mean if you SLI two 6200's, you won't see a bottleneck because of the very act of SLI'ing) :D

infinite, why the giggling scorn? I went SLI, with my money and I'm satisfied with the results, and these facts don't affect you in any way. IMO, the time you spent typing this dirge could have been better utilized taking a class on how to mind your own business. Don't take any of this as a flame, it isn't. It's just one stranger telling another where the bear sits.

Last edited:
SuperFarStucker said:
I can't fathom what makes people think investing in computer hardware is a reasonable thing to do to begin with. It confers little advantage in gaming, depreciates rapidly, and doesn't roll over well with the SO (you spent $450.00 on a green thing with a lump of metal on it, WTF?). I say if people want to have an SLi rig, let them have one. Just like if you want to go out and buy a monstrous truck/suv/sports car which rapes and pillages the third world and burns down rain forests you are free to do so.

In fact, I see all this 'that is such a waste of money' nonsense as a rationalization over your own spending. Almost all of us could get by on a lot less. I imagine some people here will really wish they did spend less money on their machines when they are still paying for it 15 years from now. Spend what you can afford, or what you feel is comfortable (whichever is less) is probably the best advice which can be given in this regard, besides a good old credit card burning.

It is senseless to wax about how your are frugal when it comes to spending money on your computer, aside from it being an oxymoron it does not apply to all the other people here.

It is pretty gross to think that there are some spending money they could be using to get an education or some such on computer hardware, but thats reality. Just like the crack junkie seems unable to help himself in the face of his own addiction. Consumerism is out in full force in the computer world, no doubt.

If you're dissappointed with not having a 128 processor array of G70's with 64 GiB of memory just look out your window sometime.

Allrighty then, I admit, I am addicted. I love the bright and shinny new things.
Mods I hope this is not out of line,but I wish people would keep politicks out of this forum and just stick to what this forum is about,getting the most out of what they have.

I read most of this thread but there is one thing I have seen no one mention, 4 DVI outputs! Now of course most people only do one or two moniters, I personally have 2 lcd flat panels but I would sure like to be able to output to a HD tv and maybe another moniter.

It was my understanding that with SLI you lose dual monitor capability. Has that changed?

If you have nothing of value to add and are just going to post nonsense, better you don't emmmkay?

nikhsub1
Forums Moderator

Edit: Sorry. Was trying to lighten it up a little.

Last edited:
infinitevalence said:
Im sure by now you have thought at some point about buying an SLI board and two nVidia graphics cards. You have gone to lanparties and seen SLI rigs, read reviews going over SLI, and you want it. You want it because its big, its bad, and it sounds cool... o and it also costs a hell of alot of $$ so you can brag about it.

Well guess what, SLI is a waste of $$ and im going to prove it to you. Im not doing this because i cant afford it, belive me, i really thought about running down to compusa and buying two 7800GT's and two 6800GT's just to write this up, I am doing this because I am sick of marketing telling you that you need SLI so your e-penis will be large.

I know this thread is going to tick allot of people off, mostly those who refuse to realize that they got had, but deal with it. It happens to us all, i have some $1200 speakers that are worth only $250, i got had. It happens to us all, and marketing people know this, thats their job.

So now for the crux of the argument.

So its 8mths ago and you want to go SLI rather than buy 6800 Ultras (since they are $450) you get two 6800GT's for around $600. You then get an SLI board which at the time costs around $175 (were getting the cheap one as you just spent $600 on GFX cards) So you go home hook up your system to your 19" CRT and fire up Farcry, Halflife2, CS:S, and Doom3. The graphics are amazing and you feel like god.

So what did this really get you.
MOBO - 175
GFX --- 600
Cost -- 800 (shipping and maybe some tax)

Projected 3D Mark 05 score: 8500 depending on OC (1gb Ram A64 3500+)

Right now your thinking, well its not 8mths ago any longer so i could do it much cheaper now.

MOBO - 100
GFX --- 475
Cost -- 600 (damn that shipping)

no change in 3D Mark....

So not bad right only $600 for the basic set up right. Well guess what you over paid, and here is why. If you were to right now go and buy a decent motherboard and 7800GT you would pay alot less and get the same experience.

MOBO - 75
GFX --- 300
Cost -- 400 (im so killing that fedex guy for taxing my ***)

Projected 3D Mark 05: 8200 (same memory same CPU)

So your paying $200, and thats just an estimate, for maybe 300 3Dmarks... we still have not taken into consideration overclocking of the CPU and graphics. I should mention that if you want to get the most out of your SLI system you need TWO water blocks or heatsinks to cool your cards so thats another $100 just to match the OC from one 7800GT.

Are you starting to see my argument? Well guess what Im not done yet, you still have that pesky 19" CRT to deal with... Guess what its kinda old so it only displays up to 1280x1024. The fact is that almost any decent graphics card can run every game you play (except fear, and i will get into that too) at this resolution with all the eye candy turned up. I used to run HL2, NFS:UG, Farcry and Doom3 at 1920x1200 with most, if not all eye candy at max on a X800XL which can be had for $250. Now i have a X800GTO2 and with OC there is not a single game that i cant max out on my monitor. The point im trying to make here is that unless you have a 20" wide screen monitor or larger SLI WILL HAVE NO EFFECT on in game settings.

I know some of you will bring up Fear... well im sorry but that game is so taxing on GFX cards because of the crappy programing. HL2 had amazing graphics when it came out and it was VERY playable with even a mid to low end graphics card. Fear on the other hand is unplayable with anything less than a X1800/7800 class card. Thats BAD programing, not a reason to pay out your ears for more graphics cards.

Now lets get to the other counter argument... but i want the best now so why not two 7800GT's. Guess what in 6-8mths there is going to be a new card coming out from nVidia that will cost $300 and will preform as well as two 7800GT's. Your asking how do i know this? Well if you look at the graphics market for the last, say, 5 years they have basically doubled performance ever 12mths. So why in gods name would you spend twice as much money now when you could just sell your current graphics card and upgrade in a few mths for 1/2 the cost of going SLI.

The only reason you would EVER go SLI is if your a hardcore bench marker. Thats it SLI offers NO improvement for gaming except in the extreme cases and trust me YOUR NOT ONE OF THEM. SLI is a marketing gimmick that is designed to get as much money out of you as it can. Their weapon in this is information. The dont want you to know that SLI offers nothing, thats why when they send out GFX cards to review sites they always send two... what review site is going to get two cards and not show the best, their life blood is based on readers and readers want to read about the best.

Please dont fall for the marketing hype, dont waste your $$ on SLI or crossfire. If you want to prove me wrong or argue go for it, im always open to new evidence. Better yet, send me two 6800GT's and two 7800GT's i will bench and test return my results along with the cards.

ok, flame on :)

And what are you using to test everything. If you do not have the system speed you are going to go no where real fast with an SLI or CrossFire setup.

Viper

masterwoot said:
I think that blah blah blah $500 blah sixty-niner blahety blah blah ABSOLUTELY! But then if you want to blehty blay bhllaal, then you should blhahah it from blah atlblah blah. Of course the thinga ma jiggety and AGP are defininely IMHO the blippity bah 'cept when rightatr arrrggity is PCI-X w/ the blimaty bot.

But of course you have to riggety rumbus the thingamijig before benchin' w/ the watchama would get you niner-niner dot five in the 3XWQ.

So any idiot would see that the best blahity blah would blah blah blah over the blah blah blam.

Don't you agree?

Yahhhahahahahah :thup:

masterwoot said:
I think that blah blah blah $500 blah sixty-niner blahety blah blah ABSOLUTELY! But then if you want to blehty blay bhllaal, then you should blhahah it from blah atlblah blah. Of course the thinga ma jiggety and AGP are defininely IMHO the blippity bah 'cept when rightatr arrrggity is PCI-X w/ the blimaty bot.

But of course you have to riggety rumbus the thingamijig before benchin' w/ the watchama would get you niner-niner dot five in the 3XWQ.

So any idiot would see that the best blahity blah would blah blah blah over the blah blah blam.

Don't you agree?
ROFLMAO :D

masterwoot said:
If you have nothing of value to add and are just going to post nonsense, better you don't emmmkay?

nikhsub1
Forums Moderator
Did this poster use foul language? Did he post illegal material? Why was his post removed? Just because you didn't understand it doesn't mean the rest of us didn't. He was trying to say, THROUGH EXAMPLE, just how rudimentary and pointless this thread is. The only thing this post proves is that the OP has nothing to gain, financially, from SLI. Whoopty Doo. Frankly, the OP is the one attacking those that already have SLI rigs as I pointed out in my post above. Not sure what you expect here?

The only thing his TEST FIGURES (or lack there of) prove is that SLI is NOT an exact double in performance. Two cards does not equal double the performance. We already knew that. He claims MANY people are buying SLI without knowing this info. He was asked "what people" and never replied. He then further claims that two lower performance cards will outperform a single higher performance card and that simply isn't true. My 7800GTX 512MB might be able to outperform first generation SLI cards but with anything recent I don't stand a chance.

Super Nade said:
O.K. This nonsense has gone far enough. The Mods have been notified. Why can't you guys refrain from personal attacks? :rolleyes:
I haven't seen a single personal attack. Plus the OP requested flames. Again, not sure exactly what you expect here?

The OP is biased and that's all there is to it. These are the reviews you are supposed to STAY AWAY FROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back