• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow internet speed, not hardware related.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JT!

Speedtest.net shows 8 megabit connection. Every device is the house gets 30.

Switched out the wired connection for a usb wireless device. Same issue.

As far as I know that means it has to be a software conflict issue. The thing is it is a fresh install of windows 7 with very little software installed.

Anyone have any ideas? Tried all the obvious stuff, firewall off / AVG off etc.

whats the specifications of the device or machine that is getting 8mb/s? please give us plenty of information on your devices so we can better help you.

I tried wired and wireless.

This is a fresh install of windows so the drivers have just been installed. I didn't try re installing driver because it's happening on both the mobos ethernet and then the usb wireless adapter. Both use different drivers completely so I concluded it isn't a driver issue.

If it's a fresh install could it be that windows is trying to download updates while you're testing?

If it's a fresh install could it be that windows is trying to download updates while you're testing?

nice thinking.

just let it update for a whole day and then try re-running the tests the next day. if you really want to run that test, you can boot a live linux disk and run the test from there.

It's been a few days now. I made sure all the windows updates were downloaded and installed because they solved other problems I had.

Question, is this wireless or wired?

I've had the same problem a couple times, where a cable goes bad and drastically slows down the internet connection. I have 30mb/s internet, and I was getting 3-10. I was upset, so I called my ISP and we did all this testing, and it still was slow. Finally he asked me to swap the cables out, and voila... im getting over 50mb/s now pretty constantly.

I've tired both, same issue with both.

fair enough, figured I'd ask.

Does your motherboard include any network management solutions? I.e. killers "network manager"? I find that slowing my connection down.

Yeah yeah, these are obvious questions I know, just figured we'd blot out the dummy checks.

No worries at all, it probably is a dummy mistake! And I really appreciate the help.

As far as I can tell, no there's nothing. The version of windows I installed didn't come with a bunch of bloatware on it so I can't think what could be slowing it up.

I've considered it could be some setting in the network device settings that (for some reason) has been set to something it shouldn't be by default but it all looks ok.

Speedtest.net shows 8 megabit connection. Every device is the house gets 30.

How are you getting 30 from 8? If the "device" your using to run speed test gets 30, perhaps try another speed test?

Now perhaps the modem/router needs to be re-configured.

I know when I have issues not related to my own hardware, I call my internet provider and ask them to check the line condition. Worth a shot.

I can't call charter, as soon as I tell them I have the correct internet speed on every other device in the house (phones, other pc's, ps3, network connected bluray players) they're just going to say it's not a problem their end.

I have tried other speed tests.

I have connected this PC to the modem directly and am having the same issue.

Speedtest is actually only reaching 4 megabits now, however the upload is fine at 4 megabits.

Yes.

It seems to vary between 4-11 megabits. Wired or wireless doesn't seem to make a difference, same results.

Please be clear about your test comparisons and why you think you should be getting more speed.

First question, what connection speed are you paying for from Charter?

You said all of the other devices in the house get 30? What devices and how are they connected?

Does everything connect directly, wired and wireless, to the charter router or is it just a cable modem with another router devices connect to?

You said you tried wired and wireless usb. Are you comparing taking the same Ethernet cable out of one computer getting 30 and plugging it into this one and getting 8-4? Because that is the only kind of comparison I would consider valid or at least using the same wireless usb device on both machines in the same location. If your comparing mixed connections figuring out if there is a real problem and if so what it is would take to long and you would still be looking at replacing stuff.

Your fresh install of Win7, loaded MB drivers and windows updates?
Is it a 10, 100, or gigabit base connection? Not just on your end but the router also, so look at the actual network adapter status.
Could be duplex and MTU tweaks but its rarely something you have to do manually these days.

Back