• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow internet speed, not hardware related.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Please be clear about your test comparisons and why you think you should be getting more speed.

First question, what connection speed are you paying for from Charter?

You said all of the other devices in the house get 30? What devices and how are they connected?

Does everything connect directly, wired and wireless, to the charter router or is it just a cable modem with another router devices connect to?

You said you tried wired and wireless usb. Are you comparing taking the same Ethernet cable out of one computer getting 30 and plugging it into this one and getting 8-4? Because that is the only kind of comparison I would consider valid or at least using the same wireless usb device on both machines in the same location. If your comparing mixed connections figuring out if there is a real problem and if so what it is would take to long and you would still be looking at replacing stuff.

Your fresh install of Win7, loaded MB drivers and windows updates?
Is it a 10, 100, or gigabit base connection? Not just on your end but the router also, so look at the actual network adapter status.
Could be duplex and MTU tweaks but its rarely something you have to do manually these days.

30 down 4 up is what I'm paying for.

All wireless.

They all are wirelessly attached to a netgear router, which is attached to the charter Motorola modem.

I see what you're saying so after posting this I will get my (currently receiving 30 megabit) wireless usb network adapter and try that to see if I get the same result.

All the mobo drivers and windows are up to date. 100Mbit base connection wired, 54mbit wireless.

+1 when you check your wireless connection do you disconnect the wire connection.

No, but now I have uninstalled the mobo's Ethernet drivers just to make sure that wasn't the problem.

I just did, same issue.

I'm trying to download the drivers for the wireless adapter from my other PC and the download speed gets slower and slower and the download fails each time!!!

EDIT it dropped to 0kb/sec, then jumped up to 200kb/sec. Something seriously wrong here, not just slow internet, but it's also very inconsistent.

I go to Charter and read....

Fast Internet with speeds up to 30 Mbps

This is not a promised speed like Comcast. You may sometimes get 5 Mbps or maybe sometimes upto 30 Mbps.

Another quote from http://www.charterspecial.com/?PID=Google:charter:charter_seed_b:charter&c3apidt=
CHARTER INTERNET®

SPEEDS: Available Internet speeds may vary by address; small percent of customers will receive lower than advertised speeds. 30Mbps speed is 10X faster as compared to 3Mbps DSL.

Hope this helps you understand what your not getting but paying for.

Here's mines from Comcast. This is 50 Mbps and I usually get a little bit over that. Even during rush hour, I'm still seeing 50+ Mbps. http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/544961364.png

I am aware of this, i do speedtests all the time. I've never seen it below 25mbit/sec.

Right now on this PC I'm struggling to download a 31mB file.

Love when they put this out there.... why even bother?

CHARTER SECURITY SUITE®: Charter does not guarantee data will be secure.

They offer security that may not be secure....

Can you get a different provider? It seems the one you have is currently

:bs:

No I can not.

But good new everybody.

The wireless I got from my other PC works fine.

So, what the hell is going on?! Wired and wireless both crappy. But this one is fine.

I am aware of this, i do speedtests all the time. I've never seen it below 25mbit/sec.

Right now on this PC I'm struggling to download a 31mB file.

It's their provision. Looks sh!ty on your end, they might view it as good because you simply have a connection.

I'd seek a different provider, and I bet Charter is the only game in your area huh?

No I can not.

3582176713.png

But good new everybody.

So, what the hell is going on?! Wired and wireless both crappy. But this one is fine.

Maybe the router is restricting bandwidth to your other PCs?

No I can not.

3582176713.png

But good new everybody.

That looks to be the problem your wire and wireless are not working correctly.

Chater is fine, I've never had an issue until now and it's clearly no their problem. I receive around 30mb/sec all the time.

I just don't get why BOTH the wireless usb adapter AND the wired lan are both experiencing the same problem.

Chater is fine, I've never had an issue until now and it's clearly no their problem. I receive around 30mb/sec all the time.

I just don't get why BOTH the wireless usb adapter AND the wired lan are both experiencing the same problem.

And what does this PC consist of? Old hardware? Intel AMD?

How about some system specs and then some specs on the wireless card and we can google for known issues with this particular setup?

Glad the netty is fast on other PCs though! That is good news!! :clap:

...and now suddenly the wired Ethernet is working fine. Urrrghhhh.

And what does this PC consist of? Old hardware? Intel AMD?

How about some system specs and then some specs on the wireless card and we can google for known issues with this particular setup?

Glad the netty is fast on other PCs though! That is good news!! :clap:

I think my first reply had a pcpartpicker link, all the info is there.

Internet speed was always fine on every other device.

I guess the uninstalling and re installing of drivers (even though I've done this before a few times) did the trick. Both wireless adapters and the wired connection are seeing full speeds.

Thanks everyone!

...and now suddenly the wired Ethernet is working fine. Urrrghhhh.

I think my first reply had a pcpartpicker link, all the info is there.

Internet speed was always fine on every other device.

I guess the uninstalling and re installing of drivers (even though I've done this before a few times) did the trick. Both wireless adapters and the wired connection are seeing full speeds.

Thanks everyone!

THIS MAY SOUND MAXIMUM STUUUUUUPiD

BUT somehow, i feel that chipset drivers are problably the problem. update and isntall the latest drivers from the motherboards website and see if it helps. try updating your bios as well.

This could be the result of someone regulating bandwidth via an IP address. Try making your IP address static to something different than what you current have..

go to run > CMD and then type ipconfig then change it to static IP but different IP.

or the windows driver is flacky, and you'll need to install the correct network driver..

I know u got it working JT, but i'm curious too. I've seen things like this in the field and can't recall what the fix has been; it's usually odd stuff like a mobo driver. if you have the time and patience, keep digging.

Back