• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow wired network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seadave77

Ok here's the situation.

I have two computers, one laptop and one desktop. And I have a wireless router. Both computers normally use the wireless connection to get on the internet.

Laptop Specs
-------------
AMD XP 2200+
768MB DDR
40 GB HDD
10/100 NIC
Wireless Card

Desktop Specs
--------------
AMD 64 3200+
512MB DDR
120 GB HDD
10/100 NIC
Wireless Card
DVD Burner

Now basically I'm creating DVD sized files on my laptop and I want to burn them on the desktop. I figured out quickly that wireless is to slow (which I can live with). So I figure I'll just directly connect the two computers throught the router so I can transfer the files faster. Both cards are 10/100, the router is 10/100, and the cables are rated for 10/100. I'm using FTP to transfer the files from the laptop to the desktop. I'm using SmartFTP as the client and GuildFTPd as the server. Normally, I transfer with the laptop not plugged in.

My problem is that I never transfer more than 1.5 MB/second. Since I know that the max for 100Mb is 12.5Mb/second I know I'm not even close. I don't know what would be causing this.

I've checked everything I can think of. I forced the cards to 100Mb and still the same. I thought that maybe since it was a laptop the HDD just couldn't put out 12.5 MB/sec.

Benchmark plugged into AC

Full Image

Benchmark on battery

Full Image

It should still be able to pump out enough to go full 100Mb. The only other thing I can think of is it's software based. Any ideas?

P.S. I ran the benchmark at work and I noticed the diffrence in speeds so I'll try it plugged up when I get home. But still it should be able to do it, right?

Powersaving on the laptop is kicking in and throttling back your CPU, and even effect memory & bus speeds, along with harddrive and network card performance.

The harddrive looks like it's performing fine when on AC power. Download a copy of DU Meter, and see what the real transfer speed is.

It could be a number of things..
Laptop NIC, cable, switch, cable, computer NIC, computer CPU, computer memory, computer buses, computer harddrive.

Try disabling QoS on both machines.
Use a crossover cable directly between the laptop and computer, if you have one, as a check against the cables and switch.

you also might want to check the duplex settings

if they are not set to auto sense, and they are set differently, it could deff be causing alot of collisions

networktransfer7mj.gif

Ok I figured it out. It was the software. The first purple circle is my transfer rate using FTP both plugged up and unplugged. The second purple circle is the transfer rate using Workgroup Sharing with the power plugged in. The red is the transfer rate using Workgourp Sharingwithout the power plugged in. The other purple is the rate with the power plugged back in. So my conclusion is that my FTP software can't handle it for some reason. Any thoughts on why?

Why use FTP in the first place? It is so much easier to do it via normal networking and a shared folder. The FTP server probably has a bandwidth limiting setting.

Back